Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

mongers

QuoteAnother MP called Ms Truss's news conference "a mega-disaster". They said: "She will have to resign - she is worse than Corbyn."
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on October 14, 2022, 12:41:13 PMSounds like decided on Indian politics?
Partly but also I get the impression Labour in Leicester East are in a bit of a mess generally.

The former MP, Keith Vaz, was basically forced to not run again in 2019 because of a rent boys and coke scandal. He was also suspended from the party for six months.

I think that happened in October and the election was in December so Labour had to pick a candidate very quickly. They selected Claudia Webbe who's from Leicester but has mainly worked in politics in London with Ken Livingstone and was a close Corbyn ally. She then got convicted for harassing and threatening a woman who was friends with her partner and given a ten week sentence which would have triggered a by-election, but was reduced to community service on appeal. She's been kicked out of Labour for that so is now sitting as an independent.

Add to that that Vaz has made a comeback and is now constituency party chair for Leicester East (and might try to get back into parliament) - and I generally get the sense that Labour is a bit of a mess there. Add in picking candidate who's had to deny being a BJP supporter in an area that's about 40% Muslim and 10% Sikh.

Feels like a rare cae when "local factors" really are important. A bit like when Sunderland council had a huge swing to the Tories - but the local context was a Labour councillor getting convicted for child sexual abuse and the Labour leader of the council being accused of killing someone.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

If I were the incoming labour Post-Master General, not that I think there's still such a position, I'd make sure this event was commemorated in stamps; we've had the "Year of the Three Kings" commeratives, this could be the "Year of the Four Chancellors, (and Counting)"  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

HVC

In other British news, today I learned a judge on the Isle of Man is called a deemster.

Definition of deemetster is: A judge; one who pronounces sentence or doom.

So that's cool :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Quote from: HVC on October 15, 2022, 02:38:51 AMIn other British news, today I learned a judge on the isle of Mann is called a deemster.

Definition of deemetster is: A judge; one who pronounces sentence or doom.

So that's cool :D

"Your honour. My client would like to petition for doom." :unsure:
██████
██████
██████

Zanza

So the new chancellor has announced tax raises and spending cuts. Totally discredits the PM after just six weeks into the job.. 

Richard Hakluyt

I was about to make some half-assed comments about "sovereignty" and "taking back control" but Jonathan Freedland over at the Guardian has this covered very well :

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/oct/14/markets-take-back-control-brexit-humiliation-britain-suez

Richard Hakluyt

Andrew Marr, a prominent political journalist and broadcaster, explains his feelings about the state of the nation :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho181-k9lv0

Sheilbh

Meanwhile following Cameron's Greensill involvement, Blair hawking his consultancy on "human rights" to various autocracies and Major sitting on the board of various Gulf oil firms - we now have Nick Clegg being named as the Facebook executive (bad enough) OnlyFans was allegedly bribing to blacklist rival sites.

The political class really not sending their best lately <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

I like the summary that what we are seeing is the final unravelling of the myth that you can merge Raeganite/Thatcherite minimum tax policy with the kind of state spending and redistribution that British society feels is necessary.

I think it's an oversimplification (it's also likely the beginning of the final unravelling of the British Empire and its cultural momentum since its geographical dismantling) but still feels apt.

Admiral Yi

Are police not allowed to yank protestors off streets and highways?

Richard Hakluyt

They have to drag them politely and not injure them.

(Sounds flippant but it is true)

Richard Hakluyt

Speaking of the old bill, Louise Casey's report on the Met police is out. It is pretty damning and confirms, I think, suspicions that the reason for Cressida Dick's popularity with the force is that she shielded them from punishment for their frequent misdeeds.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-63277161

Hell of a lot of bad apples  :mad:

HVC

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 17, 2022, 01:15:29 AMThey have to drag them politely and not injure them.

(Sounds flippant but it is true)

Are pepper spray infused fire hoses polite? If so I choose those.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Richard Hakluyt

The objectionable protestors are generally committing criminal damage; which is either a serious crime with up to 10 years imprisonment or, for lower value offences, can be tried summarily for a sentence of up to 3 months.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/police-crime-sentencing-and-courts-bill-2021-factsheets/police-crime-sentencing-and-courts-bill-2021-criminal-damage-to-memorials-factsheet#:~:text=The%20offence%20of%20criminal%20damage,of%20up%20to%20%C2%A32%2C500.

That takes effort by the police and a fuctioning justice system of course. The government is looking to make it easier for the police to deal with protestors. Knowing the shower currently in charge I think we can look forward to the day when a bit of light heckling of the useless fuckers who rule us will result in a severe beating by government goons and internment in a re-education camp on Gruinard Island.