Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Josquius

It's a very on the nose political cartoon
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on June 26, 2020, 02:05:58 AM
People have dug up some truly amazing photos of Johnson with this Desmond fellow.  :lol:

I feel like making a lot of questions about that pic but I don't know if I should.

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 26, 2020, 01:56:36 AM
I don't think this one will fly :

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jun/25/robert-jenrick-faces-questions-over-meeting-with-israeli-mining-heir

.......maybe in East Yorkshire where many locals invested heavily in Sirius shares.

But, again, it reminds us of why ministers traditionally resign even when their guilt is not 100% established. Journalists will be raking over the coals for any glimpse of misbehaviour by "Honest Bob" Jenrick (ty Mr Crace) and the miasma of sleaze will envelop the government for months ahead.

Once again that shows, the only way he is not taking a bribe if he is doing this for the guy who is taking a bribe.

garbon

Quote from: garbon on June 25, 2020, 09:22:06 AM
I'm not sure which thread this belongs in (Brexit, COVID-19, Police) but I'm hoping the disturbance in Brixton last night stays as a minor incident and the police don't become too heavy handed as a result (what with Patel labeling the incident vile).

And now a similar disturbance in Notting Hill.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jun/26/police-attacked-at-illegal-street-party-in-notting-hill

QuotePolice attacked at illegal street party in Notting Hill

Officers attempting to disperse crowds at an unlicensed music event have been attacked by revellers in west London, police said.

Scotland Yard said objects were thrown at officers dispersing the crowd at an event at Colville Gardens, Notting Hill. It comes after "appalling scenes" of violence at a street party in Brixton on Wednesday evening.

Kensington and Chelsea police tweeted: "Officers are at the scene of an unlicensed music event near Colville Gardens, #W11. "Objects have been thrown at officers dispersing the crowd. Violence will not be tolerated & units are responding appropriately.

"This gathering is illegal & we ask anyone in attendance to leave."

Scotland Yard said in a statement on Facebook late on Thursday that its officers were undertaking an "enhanced policing operation" across the capital.

Commander Bas Javid said extra officers, in personal protective equipment, had been called in to ensure there was an "effective and prompt response to any reports or disorder".

He added: "Our role is to keep our communities safe and this evening people can expect to see a heightened police presence out in areas where we know these events are taking place."

"This is in direct response to concerns expressed by our communities, many of whom were scared and shocked by the events taking place outside their homes."

Meanwhile, police also attended an unlicensed music event at Streatham Common on Thursday evening.

The force tweeted: "Officers are currently at Streatham Common where an unlicensed music event is taking place.

"They have engaged with a large number of those in attendance and the crowd has now almost entirely dispersed."

Extra police officers in protective gear have been sent to illegal raves planned around London following "appalling scenes" of violence at a street party in Brixton on Wednesday.

The Met Police said it was targeting further unlicensed music events and block parties around the city after 22 officers were injured on the Angell Town estate in Brixton.

Footage on social media showed police vehicles smashed and officers pelted with bottles during clashes with a large crowd, with Downing Street condemning the scenes as "appalling" and home secretary Priti Patel calling the incident "utterly vile".
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

There was something similar in Streatham last night I think.

And there's been reports of loads of raves in the North-West - so we may be heading into a third summer of love :o
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

The plebs have clearly lost patience with the lockdown.

Sheilbh

I mean it's 30 degrees plus, half the countries furloughed and if you're young you've probably been out school for months and aren't going to university or anything else any time soon. And you can't go on holiday or to the pub/anywhere else.

It's tough to blame people wanting fun.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 26, 2020, 03:48:40 AM

Tough for you maybe.  :P

There are lots of steps between not allowed to have any fun under current restrictions and having a street rave/mass brawl/riot.

Richard Hakluyt

It reminds me of 1976  :cool: :ccr

'cept for all the people dying of course.

Richard Hakluyt

I think it is interesting in terms of political culture. Hancock is threatening to close the beaches; I would suggest that he doesn't as nobody will pay even the slightest bit of attention to such a prohibition. We could be in for a very disorderly summer if the government really thinks it can tell the people what to do.

garbon

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 26, 2020, 03:54:41 AM
I think it is interesting in terms of political culture. Hancock is threatening to close the beaches; I would suggest that he doesn't as nobody will pay even the slightest bit of attention to such a prohibition. We could be in for a very disorderly summer if the government really thinks it can tell the people what to do.

100% yes.

That's why this incidents in London have me concerned as I can see police trying to get more heavy handed which will only exacerbate public disorderly conduct.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 26, 2020, 03:48:40 AM

No it isn't.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on June 26, 2020, 03:59:47 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 26, 2020, 03:54:41 AM

100% yes.

That's why this incidents in London have me concerned as I can see police trying to get more heavy handed which will only exacerbate public disorderly conduct.

We might unlock some kind of a national achievement, as being  one of the worst-hit countries by the pandemic in Europe, with one of the most lax restrictions due to same pandemic AND might still end up as the only country where said pandemic and restrictions resulted in rioting.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on June 26, 2020, 03:50:30 AM
Once it hits about 30 degrees in this country I become very sympathetic to anything - I don't know, in my head the rules have already been broken, it's too warm, so anything goes :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 26, 2020, 04:06:16 AM
Quote from: Tamas on June 26, 2020, 03:50:30 AM
Once it hits about 30 degrees in this country I become very sympathetic to anything - I don't know, in my head the rules have already been broken, it's too warm, so anything goes :P

Never thought British sun would be so dangerous.  :P