News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

and now.... Honduras.

Started by I Killed Kenny, June 28, 2009, 02:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on July 08, 2009, 09:50:22 AM
Nicaragua is moving troops to the border, Venezuala and others are threatening to use force to reinstate Zelaya.

Martim has already begun celebrating the glorious victory by the mightiest military machine on earth.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

Quote from: viper37 on July 08, 2009, 09:50:22 AMNicaragua is moving troops to the border, Venezuala and others are threatening to use force to reinstate Zelaya.

When did that happen? And anyway, do you really think that there'd be military action over this?

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on July 08, 2009, 10:00:11 AM
When did that happen? And anyway, do you really think that there'd be military action over this?

You and I both know there won't be.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

KRonn

Quote from: Valmy on July 08, 2009, 10:01:26 AM
Quote from: The Larch on July 08, 2009, 10:00:11 AM

You and I both know there won't be.
Why not? I'd think there could be. I assume they would want to see someone of like mind as Zelaya be reinstated, someone who wants to gain more power. Give him another chance to carry out his moves on creating a fiefdom, like Chavez has done.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on July 08, 2009, 09:35:44 AM
We have leverage over Israel and Karzai. If we want to lecture them they have to listen and in some cases respond. What good can come from lecturing people like Chavez that make their career based on fighting wars of words against the US?
First, we have leverage over a lot of countries.

Second, Chavez has done some things that went past a war of words.

Third, there's something to be said for taking positions in support of democracy, the rule of law, etc. even when our position won't affect the outcome.

Valmy

Quote from: KRonn on July 08, 2009, 10:18:36 AM
Why not? I'd think there could be. I assume they would want to see someone of like mind as Zelaya be reinstated, someone who wants to gain more power. Give him another chance to carry out his moves on creating a fiefdom, like Chavez has done.

I don't.  There is no public support for military action and no money to pay for it.  That is why the very few wars they have in Latin America tend to be short and rather bloodless.

Edit: Naturally I mean the more recent wars not ones like the War of the Triple Alliance.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on July 08, 2009, 10:21:35 AM
Quote from: KRonn on July 08, 2009, 10:18:36 AM

I don't.  There is no public support for military action and no money to pay for it.  That is why the very few wars they have in Latin America tend to be short and rather bloodless.

The Soccer war was hilarious.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Siege

Ok, I'm confused.

That dude, the honduran president, is he a commie like Chavez?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Hansmeister

Quote from: Siege on July 08, 2009, 10:38:42 AM
Ok, I'm confused.

That dude, the honduran president, is he a commie like Chavez?

Yes, which explains why Obama supports him.

Hansmeister

Can anyone make sense of this statement from the Obamateur?

"America cannot and should not seek to impose any system of government on any other country, nor would we presume to choose which party or individual should run a country. . .And we haven't always done what we should have on that front.  Even as we meet here today, America supports now the restoration of the democratically elected president of Honduras, even though he has strongly opposed American policies."

:blink:

Valmy

'We love Democracy, we don't play favorites, and we don't tell people who they should elect or what system of goverment they should have.  Everybody should love America since we are so fair minded and just.  AMERICA HELL YA!'

Something like that it seems to me.

derspiess

Quote from: Hansmeister on July 08, 2009, 10:49:45 AM
Can anyone make sense of this statement from the Obamateur?

"America cannot and should not seek to impose any system of government on any other country, nor would we presume to choose which party or individual should run a country. . .And we haven't always done what we should have on that front.  Even as we meet here today, America supports now the restoration of the democratically elected president of Honduras, even though he has strongly opposed American policies."

:blink:

Sure, he's saying we don't want to impose anything on the Hondurans and we want to impose their deposed leader on them.  That's on top of the fact that we don't want them to adhere to their constitution.  Perfect logic :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on July 08, 2009, 09:47:31 AM
Fortunately for us Chavez is an inept idiot who will dig his own grave.  No reason to interrupt him ruining his prospects.

If his influence were limited to Venezuela, I'd agree with you, more or less.  But I think we've underestimated his ability to impact the region.  He has managed to (via influence, money, bribery, etc.) get his friends elected in other countries, and has co-opted them into his sphere of influence (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolivarian_Alliance_for_the_Americas).

We failed to contain Chavez, and I think things will get a lot worse for the US in Latin America (as well as Latin American itself) before they get better.  Eventually the pendulum may swing back the other way, but as it stands we have few friendly governments in the region and quite a few who oppose us to some degree.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on July 08, 2009, 11:28:26 AM
Sure, he's saying we don't want to impose anything on the Hondurans and we want to impose their deposed leader on them.  That's on top of the fact that we don't want them to adhere to their constitution.  Perfect logic :D

:D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on July 08, 2009, 11:52:34 AM
If his influence were limited to Venezuela, I'd agree with you, more or less.  But I think we've underestimated his ability to impact the region.

Ecuador and Bolivia are hardly some sort of massive sphere of influence.

I have full confidence his system will fail.  Besides what sort of activities are we doing in Latin America that can seriously be threatened by Chavez?