News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languish Napoleonic Wars Thread

Started by Berkut, March 16, 2009, 01:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Hm, we need to resolve that somehow first.  I definitely would've evaded (and promptly failed, per the rolls) with Soult without that card.

How do you want to resolve that, grumbler?  My dice we can assume would be the same (2 kills), but your first-day results would be changed since you're firing with 15 dice rather than 8.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

Quote from: Habbaku on April 28, 2009, 06:44:23 PM
Actually... :frusty:

I am wrong--that card isn't playable for the battle since it is an actual combat card rather than like my earlier play that merely caused attrition.
I'd say let it stand.  Does this mean, though, that I cannot play my Turkish card for the Battle of Paris?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Habbaku on April 28, 2009, 06:46:08 PM
Hm, we need to resolve that somehow first.  I definitely would've evaded (and promptly failed, per the rolls) with Soult without that card.

How do you want to resolve that, grumbler?  My dice we can assume would be the same (2 kills), but your first-day results would be changed since you're firing with 15 dice rather than 8.
Given the outcome, I am willing to let the results stand.  We can unplay the card, of course.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Rechecked the rules, no Turkish card play.  :(

Habs, you want to play any cards and run the battle?  I have Blucher, Bulow, and 8CU.

Bayraktar!

Habbaku

Well, that's what I'm saying--the card play isn't legal in the first place.  Naturally, I have every reason to not want it to stand, considering the results, and you've every reason to want to keep it the way it turned out, considering how much an ass-kicking it produced.

Not that your first day's dice wouldn't also result in an ass-kicking of similar proportions.

I say we let the British make the call.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

Quote from: Habbaku on April 28, 2009, 07:02:09 PM
Well, that's what I'm saying--the card play isn't legal in the first place.  Naturally, I have every reason to not want it to stand, considering the results, and you've every reason to want to keep it the way it turned out, considering how much an ass-kicking it produced.

Not that your first day's dice wouldn't also result in an ass-kicking of similar proportions.

I say we let the British make the call.
Not sure I understand.  If I roll 7 more die for the first day, all that does is reduce your dice for the second day (or leave them the same) and even left the same they inflicted no more damage on me (one disrupt).

Unless you are trying to turn your mistake into a chance to re-roll your second day's dice?  I am not sure that is legit.

But I agree to let Britain decide.

Bayraktar!

Habbaku

No, that's what I'm trying to say.  The second day doesn't even happen unless you tie me on the first day--in other words, unless you only get two hits on your 15 dice, a virtual impossibility (though it has happened before).

What I'm trying to correct is the illegal play of the Danish battle card for the fight.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

Quote from: Habbaku on April 28, 2009, 07:10:40 PM
No, that's what I'm trying to say.  The second day doesn't even happen unless you tie me on the first day--in other words, unless you only get two hits on your 15 dice, a virtual impossibility (though it has happened before).

What I'm trying to correct is the illegal play of the Danish battle card for the fight.
Gotcha.  I will await Berkut's decision.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Headed for bed.  Won't be able to finish until tomorrow evening.

If Berkut says re-roll, you can re-roll, Habs.  If he wants to let it stand, you can play cards and then roll for the Battle of Paris.

Bayraktar!

Berkut

I say, and I think this is consistent with my position in all games with issues like this, at least for the most part....

Re-roll the entire thing. Had the play resulted in some awesome result for France, we would make him re-roll it all. As a general rule, barring some compelling reason not to, dice rolled in error, IMO, should simply be re-rolled completely. The first roll(s) never happened.

Back up to the point of error, and redo everything after it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

However, I don't actually hold to my own principle all that strictly - if you are rolling 10 dice and realize you should have rolled 11, I would generally argue that you should just roll one more and be done with it.

So yeah, I am not exactly perfectly consistent with my rule, I guess. But in general, anytime there is an issue of "we made this error here, and then we did this other stuff (like roll more dice) as a result, and..." my answer is "fuck it, roll it ALL over again".

And live with the result. Which can sometimes be infuriating.

0 rows returned

Habbaku

In this case, my own dice were not rolled in error--they would remain the same.  If grumbler prefers I re-roll them (I got 2 kills), I will do so, or he can stick with the result.

Prussian 15 dice coming up.

Edit : And the result is 1 kill, 3 disrupts--which is a win for the Prusskies, but not an overrun, which forces the command to stop (though they may flag Picardy).

Soult, naturally, retreats to Paris with his remaining troops.  The Prussians have 2 CPs remaining.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

Quote from: Habbaku on April 28, 2009, 09:17:22 PM
In this case, my own dice were not rolled in error--they would remain the same.  If grumbler prefers I re-roll them (I got 2 kills), I will do so, or he can stick with the result.

Prussian 15 dice coming up.

Edit : And the result is 1 kill, 3 disrupts--which is a win for the Prusskies, but not an overrun, which forces the command to stop (though they may flag Picardy).

Soult, naturally, retreats to Paris with his remaining troops.  The Prussians have 2 CPs remaining.
I have no idea why you re-rolled all of my dice and didn't re-roll your own, but don't care.  It is just a game.

Flag Picardy, and I will move some 1 CU unit to Warsaw.  I don't have access to the map, but that move shouldn't affect anyone.

The ottomans will spend their turn trying to end their foreign war and recover troops from regroup, so their move shouldn't affect anyone.  If Denmark or Sweden or whoever is next wants to go and make progress in the game, we can catch up on the OE when I get home.  Obviously, I cannot send out a turn for hours yet.

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Can't you load CB up on a school computer? It is educational, after all...

0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on April 29, 2009, 08:24:50 AM
Can't you load CB up on a school computer? It is educational, after all...
No, our highly bureaucratic techno weenie has locked out pretty much all downloading and installation capabilities, along with such things as the ability to defragment drives, delete executables, and the like.

Also, I can't access the whateverhorse web site for the card play, because it is locked from our firewall because it contains the word "game."  ironically, sites like addictinggames.com are not locked out.

Bayraktar!