Puerto Rico’s Governor Says Island’s Debts Are ‘Not Payable’

Started by jimmy olsen, June 29, 2015, 02:17:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Yeah I think Spicey was one of those 'let them all the weak banks fall apart and the strong shall RISE!' types during that crisis.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on June 30, 2016, 08:51:13 AM
The banks had plenty of strings attached actually. Maybe not the right strings...

No shit, right?

"These are not the TARP bonus restrictions you are looking for."
"These are not the TARP bonus restrictions we're looking for."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on June 30, 2016, 08:55:24 AM
Yeah I think Spicey was one of those 'let them all the weak banks fall apart and the strong shall RISE!' types during that crisis.

I was going through my Maya Angelou phase.  AND SO I RISE!!!!!!!!
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on June 30, 2016, 08:55:24 AM

Ah, yes.  The "Too Big to Fail" approach.  Wonder how that turned out.

lustindarkness

QuotePROMESA

They always come up with such "clever" acronyms.  :lol:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Valmy

Quote from: lustindarkness on June 30, 2016, 09:26:40 AM
QuotePROMESA

They always come up with such "clever" acronyms.  :lol:

I thought it was a nice touch to make it a Spanish word. It means they love Puerto Rico.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

celedhring

I wonder how many lawmaker man-hours are employed with coming up with these acronyms. I guess we may know the real reason for the hold-up, now.

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on June 30, 2016, 09:37:45 AM
I wonder how many lawmaker man-hours are employed with coming up with these acronyms. I guess we may know the real reason for the hold-up, now.

Well they don't spend much time passing or debating legislation these days. So I guess between fund raising sessions they have to do something with their time.

CountDeMoney

While more condescending than racist, it's certainly a better choice than, say, the Spanish Peoples' Island Credit Act of 2016.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

OttoVonBismarck

Puerto Rico isn't a state, Congress stepping in to bail them out is akin to a State stepping in to bail out a municipality, and when they do so it's standard to have either some sort of fiscal oversight board put in place, or some sort of emergency manager put in place.

Puerto Rico has chosen a status of diminished sovereignty--they could have either statehood or independence if they wanted, they don't.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 30, 2016, 08:37:14 AM
Quote from: derspiess on June 30, 2016, 08:31:41 AM
So "give us free money with no strings attached" is the demand I guess?

You didn't have a problem when the banks did it.

That money wasn't free.  It was pretty pricey.

garbon

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 30, 2016, 12:30:09 PM
Puerto Rico isn't a state, Congress stepping in to bail them out is akin to a State stepping in to bail out a municipality, and when they do so it's standard to have either some sort of fiscal oversight board put in place, or some sort of emergency manager put in place.

Puerto Rico has chosen a status of diminished sovereignty--they could have either statehood or independence if they wanted, they don't.

Congress could have chosen to use the result of their last referendum to make it a state, but they did not.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PJL

S
Quote from: garbon on June 30, 2016, 03:00:25 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 30, 2016, 12:30:09 PM

Congress could have chosen to use the result of their last referendum to make it a state, but they did not.

And Americans are hypocritical for telling Brits that they can't ignore referendums.