News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 29, 2023, 12:52:57 PMWomen's basketball.

Yeah? What's your favorite team? Who is your favorite player?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: grumbler on November 28, 2023, 08:19:43 PM
I visited my brother's family in Virginia a few weeks back, and my brother just randomly asked my seven year old nephew "Kevin, what is best in life?" and he was able to recite the entire quote verbatim. :wub:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on November 29, 2023, 03:00:15 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on November 29, 2023, 12:52:57 PMWomen's basketball.

Yeah? What's your favorite team? Who is your favorite player?

I see what you did there.

I don't really have a favorite team when it comes to college sports. I try to enjoy the rare match that gets on Canadian tv.  And I consume entirely too many ESPN and others podcasts.

Will be interesting how South Carolina fares now that they are going on the road.

Arkansas should probably be ranked.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Odd.  I think basketball is the sport where the quality gap between genders is most self evident.

celedhring

Quote from: Caliga on November 29, 2023, 04:47:47 PM
Quote from: grumbler on November 28, 2023, 08:19:43 PM
I visited my brother's family in Virginia a few weeks back, and my brother just randomly asked my seven year old nephew "Kevin, what is best in life?" and he was able to recite the entire quote verbatim. :wub:

The guy that answers riding a horse in the open steppe is right tho  :ph34r:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 29, 2023, 06:54:21 PMOdd.  I think basketball is the sport where the quality gap between genders is most self evident.

As discussed a number of times, I think the Women's game is superior for people who appreciate basketball fundamentals and team play (on both defence and offence).  The men's game devolves quickly into hero ball.  Watching a lot of one on one play gets boring.  There are exceptions - the Warriors teams of old are a good example of the Men's game being fun to watch.  And there are still college programs that are also more team oriented.  By if you like the team game, Women's round ball is the game for you.

Grey Fox

It's like women's tennis.

Technically equalled to the men's counterparts but the less physically universally strong body of women makes for a more interesting moment to moment game.

Men's tennis has too many server bots.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 29, 2023, 06:54:21 PMOdd.  I think basketball is the sport where the quality gap between genders is most self evident.

I really like minor league hockey vs the NHL. Mistakes are what makes a game fun.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 29, 2023, 08:19:23 PMI really like minor league hockey vs the NHL. Mistakes are what makes a game fun.

I wasn't talking about mistakes.  I was thinking more about the speed of play.  Women's roundball looks like the tape is running at half speed.

Whereas women's fodbol or volleyball, for example, seem more like 3/4 or 7/8 speed.

Grey Fox

Josquius

I do agree there's a charm in the errors at lower levels of sport (just football for me).
And yes. Something looks strange in the women's game. I wouldn't so much say its speed as scale. The average size of the players is substantially smaller whilst the pitch and goal remains the same size. It looks like a game played on a bigger pitch.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on November 28, 2023, 10:36:00 PMTexas needs Louisville to upset FSU in the ACC title game. Oh and beat Oklahoma State.

Good luck against Iowa. First to 10 points wins.

I'd love to see UM-Texas meet in the playoff.  FSU just doesn't have the resume to make me want to see them get in.

UM and UT meet in Ann Arbor next September, so we'll see them clash regardless of the playoff picture.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Via Gerard Araud so hopefully reliable - but WTF:
https://x.com/sentdefender/status/1729891923043746048?s=46&t=o9GOIj6BKKcLcHiyQTlAoA

Venezuela massing troops on Guyanese border, and Brazil's military on high alert as fears Venezuela might invade (as they claim a lot of Guyana's territory).
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Surprised brazil cares enough to intervene.

Looked at the map on Google. What's with all the dashed lines between Venezuela,  Guyana,  Suriname,  and French Guiana? All disputed borders?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 30, 2023, 08:33:56 AMVia Gerard Araud so hopefully reliable - but WTF:
https://x.com/sentdefender/status/1729891923043746048?s=46&t=o9GOIj6BKKcLcHiyQTlAoA

Venezuela massing troops on Guyanese border, and Brazil's military on high alert as fears Venezuela might invade (as they claim a lot of Guyana's territory).

Just the other day heard of Ethiopian troops massing on the Eritrean border too.
Looks like there's a few wars in the works.

Guyana is pretty us friendly I believe? Seems it'd be a dumb move from Venezuela all round.
██████
██████
██████