The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on September 23, 2021, 06:36:57 AM
Fondue was a big thing there in the 70s haha

Fondue savoyarde or fondue bourguignonne?  :P

DGuller

I'm much more shocked than only 26% have not heard of Liechtenstein.  Then again, what's to stop you from just being neutral about a country without admitting you don't know WTF it is.  They should've included a couple of fake countries just to see how Americans feel about them.

Savonarola

Quote from: DGuller on September 23, 2021, 07:58:57 AM
I'm much more shocked than only 26% have not heard of Liechtenstein.  Then again, what's to stop you from just being neutral about a country without admitting you don't know WTF it is.  They should've included a couple of fake countries just to see how Americans feel about them.

Latervia - Negative
Pottsylvania - Negative
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Habbaku

We are generally in favor of bombing Agrabah.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

HVC

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 23, 2021, 07:35:24 AM
Quote from: HVC on September 23, 2021, 06:36:57 AM
Fondue was a big thing there in the 70s haha

Fondue savoyarde or fondue bourguignonne?  :P

the one with melted cheese. all the same here ;) :P

actually, maybe they just know about Switzerland because of swiss cheese
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Minsky Moment

Last time someone tried that, America bombed Freedonia.  We can't risk that kind of violence just to improve survey results.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jacob

So apparently there's a big suit against Facebook, aimed at Zuckerberg personally and most of the board...

Here's a tweet about it: https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1440304941428473857

Do any of you know how big a deal this may be (vs social media froth)?

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on September 23, 2021, 01:27:46 PM
So apparently there's a big suit against Facebook, aimed at Zuckerberg personally and most of the board...

Here's a tweet about it: https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1440304941428473857

Do any of you know how big a deal this may be (vs social media froth)?

Okay so this isn't my area, and I'm basing it off of news reporting without reading the 600+ page claim itself.

But this claim is being brought on behalf of individual FB shareholders.  The substance of the claim is that FB payed $5 billion, rather than $100 million, in order that Zuckerberg not be found personally liable.  Problem is the concept of the "corporate veil", where it's really hard to find individuals responsible for the bad actions of the corporation itself.  And corporations will generally act to protect their employees and principal actors from individual liability.

As well the FTC specifically agreed to the settlement, as did Facebook.  Both are sophisticated entities well aware of their legal responsibilities.

Then there's a bunch of stuff about lying to Congress.  But I'm not exactly sure how the shareholders have any standing to sue on this basis - surely that's up to Congress?

And having been brought by shareholders it's hard to see how they have much room to complain - FB's stock price has only gone up, from ~$75 in 2016 to $348 today.

But I'm very open to more informed opinions than mine.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on September 23, 2021, 01:51:48 PMOkay so this isn't my area, and I'm basing it off of news reporting without reading the 600+ page claim itself.

But this claim is being brought on behalf of individual FB shareholders.  The substance of the claim is that FB payed $5 billion, rather than $100 million, in order that Zuckerberg not be found personally liable.  Problem is the concept of the "corporate veil", where it's really hard to find individuals responsible for the bad actions of the corporation itself.  And corporations will generally act to protect their employees and principal actors from individual liability.

As well the FTC specifically agreed to the settlement, as did Facebook.  Both are sophisticated entities well aware of their legal responsibilities.

Then there's a bunch of stuff about lying to Congress.  But I'm not exactly sure how the shareholders have any standing to sue on this basis - surely that's up to Congress?

And having been brought by shareholders it's hard to see how they have much room to complain - FB's stock price has only gone up, from ~$75 in 2016 to $348 today.

But I'm very open to more informed opinions than mine.
Yeah I've no idea. There's a few pretty limited routes for shareholders to sue at least in the UK and it's normally for things like unfair victimisation. It's complicated but they can also sue on behalf of the company against directors for failing in their duties so I wonder if there's something similar going on here? That it was a failure fiduciary duties to Facebook to pay $5 billion instead of $100 million to protect Zuckerberg?
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

If corporate assets (cash) was used to protect the private interests of a person then that seems to be a text book derivative action - ie an action brought on behalf of a company by shareholders to protect the interests of the company.

BB - it does not matter that the shares went up or down.  The issue is whether the corporation was harmed by its assets being misused by insiders.  The damages get paid to the corporation, not the shareholders.  Although shareholders as a whole would benefit if an individual is required to pay back billions of dollars to a corporation.

The sticking point will be whether it was only for his personal benefit or whether it was for the benefit of the company.  I don't know near enough to make any guess about that.

Sheilbh

I found this surprising:

I will, however, not let facts stop me moaning :contract:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Yeah, that seems off. Rule of thumb for Vienna is 30% of net income goes into rent.

I also did the math again. If I had enough money that I'd only need a 200k loan from the bank (i.e. I finance ca. 100k myself), and pay it off over 30 years, the monthly payments would be more than my rent sans side costs (which I would have to pay either way). :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.