The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on February 25, 2019, 11:10:28 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 25, 2019, 07:28:14 AM
Quote from: celedhring on February 25, 2019, 07:19:36 AM
Quote from: The Larch on February 25, 2019, 06:31:00 AM
Slightly surprised that Green Book won both Best Picture and Best Original Screenplay, given its issues.

Interesting, what are those? I found the pic bland and formulaic, but wasn't aware there was controversy.

Here you go: https://www.standard.co.uk/go/london/film/green-book-oscars-2019-best-picture-controversial-a4075631.html

Though I think I liked this one better: https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/2019/01/220609/green-book-movie-controversy-racism-don-shirley-family-story

I see, thanks! Didn't know they ignored Shirley's family.

My biggest qualm on the film is that is an uncomplicated feelgood view of a really complicated era, and this might have worked 20 years ago but fortunately we're in a different place now.

It's all those things combined, the bland feel-good style of the film by avoiding relevant stuff, the focus being put on Mortensen's character (the book in which the film was inspired was written by that guy's son, after all), the misrepresentation of their relationship...it ended up giving me the impression of being a super manufactured product. On top of that there were the gaffes and skeletons in the closets of people involved in the film that appeared or were discovered over time, but that's not purely on the film's balance, so to speak.

dps

The academy loves biopics and historical epics.  The thing is, if you're telling a true story, people expect you to stick to the facts and include all of the relevant details.  With regards to the first part of that filmmakers have a problem with sticking to the facts, because sometimes made-up elements "fit" better narratively than the truth.  As for the second part, any story worth telling probably has a lot more nuance than you could show in a 2 or 3 hour movie, so somethings have to be left out, and someone is always going to be upset about the filmmakers' choices as to what to include and what to exclude.

garbon

Quote from: dps on February 25, 2019, 11:23:52 AM
The academy loves biopics and historical epics.  The thing is, if you're telling a true story, people expect you to stick to the facts and include all of the relevant details.  With regards to the first part of that filmmakers have a problem with sticking to the facts, because sometimes made-up elements "fit" better narratively than the truth.  As for the second part, any story worth telling probably has a lot more nuance than you could show in a 2 or 3 hour movie, so somethings have to be left out, and someone is always going to be upset about the filmmakers' choices as to what to include and what to exclude.

Well The Favourite is decidedly not something sticking to facts.

On Green Book (which I don't plan to see), the issue seems less about the strict historical facts and largely that it is a 21st century version of Driving Miss Daisy (only with the roles reversed). Perhaps as, celed has said, relevant for where we were 20 years ago, but no longer acceptable in the modern day to show that racism would just vanish if everyone could just spend time one-on-one with a member of another race / wow look how racist they were back then, glad we've moved on.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

It is always some movie nobody has seen or heard of that wins the Oscar for Best Picture these days.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on February 25, 2019, 12:01:49 PM
It is always some movie nobody has seen or heard of that wins the Oscar for Best Picture these days.

Green Book was definitely seen and heard. It was no Moonlight.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 25, 2019, 12:07:39 AM
Gaga lost Best Actress but won for best song.
It also looked like Bradley Cooper was going to bend her over on stage after they performed their duet. :perv:

Seriously, what an amazing act.  OR WERE THEY ACTING  :sleep:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Oexmelin

Their on-screen chemistry is about the only thing that elevated A Star is Born above meaningless mush.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Caliga

Also I loved Spike Lee's pimptastic outfit. :showoff:

Admiral Yi

Lady Gaga much more closely resembles a human than I had thought.

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 25, 2019, 05:19:47 PM
:huh:

HVC

Quote from: Caliga on February 25, 2019, 05:20:05 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 25, 2019, 05:19:47 PM
:huh:

she's past her weird meat suit phase, which I guess is what Yi is used to
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Caliga

Oh ok.  I think she's very attractive (yes I know she doesn't fit my 'stereotype'). :sleep:

The Larch

Lady Gaga's meat dress and other weird stunts phase ended what, 5-8 years ago? To be surprised at this point about how she looks for real is puzzling.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Larch on February 25, 2019, 06:03:05 PM
Lady Gaga's meat dress and other weird stunts phase ended what, 5-8 years ago? To be surprised at this point about how she looks for real is puzzling.

I let my subscription to her newsletter lapse.