HVC

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 29, 2017, 12:37:50 PM
Quote from: HVC on March 29, 2017, 12:35:58 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 29, 2017, 12:22:31 PM
Quote from: HVC on March 29, 2017, 12:12:27 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 29, 2017, 12:10:31 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 29, 2017, 11:34:18 AM
Quote from: HVC on March 29, 2017, 11:32:31 AM
Americans are obsessed with either being Irish, Scottish, or native American.

Sad we are not obsessed over being Portuguese?

Bad example since HVC is mostly moorish.  :P

Half jewish at least, baby :yeah:

Half-jewish, half-moorish? My bad.  :P

Like most porkchops :D

"Porkchops"? In the South yes, definitively.  :D

Well technically my family is costal central, which I guess is south from the perspective of your northern hometown :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on March 29, 2017, 11:57:06 AM
Quote from: Jacob on March 29, 2017, 11:47:20 AM
Quote from: Valmy on March 29, 2017, 11:41:20 AM
It is not distinct to us at all. Well ok maybe the way the Mormons do it is pretty distinct.

Where else is it also prevalent, in your observation?

Europe. After all the #1 genealogy show is from the UK. And it is not like it is a huge thing for Americans, I am not sure why people think it is prevalent. Cal and I are the only ones really into it on here and the only reason I am is because I like history.

I think it might only be because a lot of Americans will rattle off some other ancestries. I will say that many Brits I've encountered are also quite forthcoming about their roots.

I'm caring a little about genealogy (don't care about genetics) as I'm interested in family stories and I was given that photocopy of that book about one branch of my ancestors.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on March 29, 2017, 01:00:22 PM
I'm caring a little about genealogy (don't care about genetics) as I'm interested in family stories and I was given that photocopy of that book about one branch of my ancestors.

Genealogy was, until very recently, entirely a historical inquiry and had nothing to do with genetics.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on March 29, 2017, 12:46:27 PM

Well technically my family is costal central, which I guess is south from the perspective of your northern hometown :D

South of Coimbra/Mondego: SOUTH! MOORS!  :D

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on March 29, 2017, 11:47:20 AM
Quote from: Valmy on March 29, 2017, 11:41:20 AM
It is not distinct to us at all. Well ok maybe the way the Mormons do it is pretty distinct.

Where else is it also prevalent, in your observation?

Europe. After all the #1 genealogy show is from the UK. And it is not like it is a huge thing for Americans, I am not sure why people think it is prevalent. Cal and I are the only ones really into it on here and the only reason I am is because I like history.

It's a racial identity thing, for both good and bad reasons.

Zanza

That's some impressive growth over the last few years. The manufacturing renaissance in the West will be purely capital-based and not require workers - neither in the West, nor in developing nations...

Jacob

I think non-Americans think it's prevalent because many of us have had the experience of having people tell us their ancestry upon learning our nationality. This is not, in my experience at least, prevalent in Europe.

F. ex. I've crossed a lot of borders. The only time I've had a border guard tell me they were Danish too (or rather, one or more of their ancestors) has been on crossing into the US.

Didn't know that the #1 genealogy show is from the UK... didn't even know there was such a thing as a genealogy show, to be honest :)

But you know, thinking about it I'm inclined to agree that non-Americans are likely as interested in geneaology as Americans. Certainly, there are a few people in my family who've painstakingly collected (and distributed) the family tree in great detail. Maybe the perceived difference is that I don't think anyone in the family would think to discuss it with anyone outside of the family, while many Americans seem to consider it a good topic for casual conversation and relevant to a number of topics. So perhaps it's not so much the amount of interest that varies, but rather minor cultural differences in where and how the topic is discussed.

Valmy

Being an immigrant nation will do that. BB might mention he is Ukrainian if ever met somebody from Ukraine in a conversation I bet.

There is no more reason for a Dane to tell people of his Danish ancestry then there is for me to mention my American ancestry. It is rather obvious.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on March 29, 2017, 02:00:56 PM
Being an immigrant nation will do that. BB might mention he is Ukrainian if ever met somebody from Ukraine in a conversation I bet.

There is no more reason for a Dane to tell people of his Danish ancestry then there is for me to mention my American ancestry. It is rather obvious.

Once upon a time I would have (even picked up a Ukrainian-from-Ukraine girlfriend for a few years in undergrad).  I think I now know Europeans could care less about such things.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zanza

As far as I know all my ancestors for several generations were German farmers and craftsmen. There were a couple of East Prussians among them, so maybe there are some Poles or Lithuanians among my distant ancestors. So genealogy based on genetics just doesn't seem very interesting.

derspiess

Quote from: Zanza on March 29, 2017, 01:43:22 PM
That's some impressive growth over the last few years. The manufacturing renaissance in the West will be purely capital-based and not require workers - neither in the West, nor in developing nations...

I bet Japan is ashamed it has a robot gap with Singapore and South Korea.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 29, 2017, 05:22:42 AM
Stop using "alternative medicine" and "scientifically" in the same sentence.  They are mutually exclusive terms.

- signed,
   The opponents of every single medical advance since the leech
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on March 29, 2017, 02:27:55 PM
Stop using "alternative medicine" and "scientifically" in the same sentence.  They are mutually exclusive terms.

- signed,

Can't hear you, my rhino scrotum soufflé is ready, what with this head cold and all.

IT'S GOT A CRISPING SLEEVE

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on March 29, 2017, 02:00:56 PM

I think for most Americans, after three generation they don't have a clue.  I was surprised when I found out I had Italian family members.  Since I keep getting ads on facebook to "celebrate my Israeli heritage" and stuff about Passover, I'm a little frightened to check my DNA.  I don't want to get my face kicked in for being an agent of the Zionist occupied government.

I'll admit the Jewish religion has always made sense to me.  If you are going to have one God, have one God.  Why does he need to be three at once?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on March 29, 2017, 02:27:55 PM

- signed,

:huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.