News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on December 11, 2016, 01:39:08 AM
I might start watching football again if that was a regular thing.

Fucking Rocky going all Karate Kid crane kick in PW3ND mode at :10  :lol: :lol: :lol:

NO CAN DEFEND

Ed Anger

Yes, that is from my wedding reception.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Liep

In an effort to spend taxpayer's money the former minister of culture, Bertel Haarder, wanted to establish a canon of Danish culture so that furriners would know what it is to be Danish. It was put to a vote, of course.

• The welfare system
  • Freedom
  • Trust
  • Equality before the law
  • Gender equality
  • The Danish language
  • Culture of association and volunteering
  • Tolerance
  • Hygge
  • Christian heritage

It's bullshit of course, most of these aren't even especially Danish and some don't really work anymore in today's Denmark. #1 is eroding, #3 is gone, #4 with exceptions, #8 if you're not muslim, #9 is actually Norwegian, but don't tell the BBC.

But hey, it only cost a few million euros and the satirical shows got something to talk about.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

Quote from: Liep on December 12, 2016, 05:45:47 AM
In an effort to spend taxpayer's money the former minister of culture, Bertel Haarder, wanted to establish a canon of Danish culture so that furriners would know what it is to be Danish. It was put to a vote, of course.

• The welfare system
  • Freedom
  • Trust
  • Equality before the law
  • Gender equality
  • The Danish language
  • Culture of association and volunteering
  • Tolerance
  • Hygge
  • Christian heritage

It's bullshit of course, most of these aren't even especially Danish and some don't really work anymore in today's Denmark. #1 is eroding, #3 is gone, #4 with exceptions, #8 if you're not muslim, #9 is actually Norwegian, but don't tell the BBC.

But hey, it only cost a few million euros and the satirical shows got something to talk about.

List is distinctly lacking in

and

and

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

Fret not, the former minister of health had a food canon a couple of years ago where he spend a just a couple of millions on a vote for the most Danish dish.

I believe this won:

Rødgrød med fløde wasn't even on the final top 10 iirc. Frikadeller was, of course.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

celedhring

Meat, potatoes, and a heavy sauce. Yeah, looks 100% Scandinavian to me.

Syt

Quote from: Liep on December 12, 2016, 05:54:42 AM
Fret not, the former minister of health had a food canon a couple of years ago where he spend a just a couple of millions on a vote for the most Danish dish.

I believe this won:

Rødgrød med fløde wasn't even on the final top 10 iirc. Frikadeller was, of course.

Fried pork belly? What's the sauce? Hollandaise?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

Quote from: Syt on December 12, 2016, 06:50:17 AM

Fried pork belly? What's the sauce? Hollandaise?

Yep, the sauce is milk, flour, butter and parsley. Parsley sauce!

CountDeMoney

Whoever puts a cucumber on a brat needs to beaten with a belt.

Zanza

That should be a Danish polser, not a German bratwurst.

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on December 12, 2016, 06:38:04 AM
Meat, potatoes, and a heavy sauce. Yeah, looks 100% Scandinavian to me.

That's the sucky side of being the first couple of generations encountering globalism, especially when it comes to food: in school and your grandparents spend time telling you how this and this is so very special and very *insert your nationality*, and then you get Internet and immigrants opening shops and restaurants and you realise your Very Special National Thing, is really pretty common and dull.

Grey Fox

Snow in Montreal today. I abandonned my commute after 2h where I was still more than 50% away. (total commute is 17kms)
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on December 07, 2016, 03:46:17 PM
Installing LEDs is a magical experience. I know I will not be changing that shit again until I am nearing retirement.

Duke Energy sent me an 8-pack of LED bulbs, so I went on a find and replace mission to purge my house of all remaining CFL bulbs.  Turns out I still had more than I realized.  Other than the light in the kids' bathroom (which for whatever reason only the CFL bulb will fit), the house is now CFL-free.  Good riddance.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on December 12, 2016, 11:19:17 AM
Quote from: Valmy on December 07, 2016, 03:46:17 PM
Installing LEDs is a magical experience. I know I will not be changing that shit again until I am nearing retirement.

Duke Energy sent me an 8-pack of LED bulbs, so I went on a find and replace mission to purge my house of all remaining CFL bulbs.  Turns out I still had more than I realized.  Other than the light in the kids' bathroom (which for whatever reason only the CFL bulb will fit), the house is now CFL-free.  Good riddance.

Yeah those things were annoying. Glad we rapidly moved past that little innovation.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

DP&L sent 1 LED bulb. THANKS A LOT
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive