And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on November 10, 2016, 02:01:55 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 10, 2016, 01:59:58 PM
On a related note this is why Obama's increasing reliance on Executive Orders was a bad thing - all can be reversed on Day One of the Trump regime.

Indeed. But he had little else to rely upon :P

Which is the source of the Constitutional Crisis we are presently heading towards.

And Dubya rolled back some of Bubba's executive orders (certain environmental protection standards) on Day 1, and Obama rolled back some of Dubya's (restricted funding to the UN if birth control was involved).  And so on.

It's the dance they do.  But yeah, the problem is that so much (or little) Obama accomplished had to be done by executive order unfortunately, because Congress put their "No Coloreds Allowed" signs back up.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 10, 2016, 02:31:07 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 10, 2016, 02:21:15 PM
How about this article from the Chicago Tribune:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-trump-trade-deals-20161109-story.html

Better, but not great.

I imagine the Peterson Institute guy is talking about things like anti-dumping and countervailing duties, which are already legislated.  Not sure what the others are.  Maybe dual-use technology?  (I interned at Bureau of Export Administration.  :ph34r:)

But even there you have a bureacratic procedure.  Trump can't just waive a tiny fist at Mexico and declare countervailing duties.  And remember based on the Great Softwood War that even when the US makes a move, it can be overruled by the NAFTA panel.

Well sure.  If you want to change the trading relationship with Mexico and China in a non-insane way, it's actually pretty hard and complicated.

But if you just want to go nuclear, it appears to me that Trump can announce on Day One that the US is pulling out of NAFTA, and then six months later it's done.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Yeah but he promised to give Canada and Mexico a chance to cave to his demands first. WILL YOU BLINK CANADA?

Or none of that will happen and Trump was full of shit.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on November 10, 2016, 02:45:46 PM
Well sure.  If you want to change the trading relationship with Mexico and China in a non-insane way, it's actually pretty hard and complicated.

But if you just want to go nuclear, it appears to me that Trump can announce on Day One that the US is pulling out of NAFTA, and then six months later it's done.

Well, no Beeb.  :mellow:

Congress would need to repeal or amend the enabling law.  Trump could announce January 32nd that tarrifs on Mexican imports are now 500%, but they won't be until the law is changed.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 10, 2016, 02:50:42 PM

Congress would need to repeal or amend the enabling law.  Trump could announce January 32nd that tarrifs on Mexican imports are now 500%, but they won't be until the law is changed.

:yeahright:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 10, 2016, 02:50:42 PM

What I've been reading disagrees.  Under the Trade Act of 1974 Trump has broad powers to unilaterally impose duties on a foreign country for a host of reasons.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/can-trump-start-a-trade-war-1457478717

Is listed as the source, but I can't access it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on November 10, 2016, 03:14:32 PM
What I've been reading disagrees.  Under the Trade Act of 1974 Trump has broad powers to unilaterally impose duties on a foreign country for a host of reasons.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/can-trump-start-a-trade-war-1457478717

Is listed as the source, but I can't access it.

Don't want to "sign in" to read.

But without reading I'm fairly sure they're talking about things like anti-dumping and countervailing duties.

LaCroix

thanks, guys, will go fixed. it's still about 1.5% lower than my current rate (5.5-5.8%)

Ed Anger

I just realized it is less than 2 weeks until Thanksgiving and I haven't done any Christmas shopping yet. Or put the tree up. Or prepared myself for the bullshit of the holiday season.

Bleh.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 11, 2016, 10:04:51 AM
I just realized it is less than 2 weeks until Thanksgiving and I haven't done any Christmas shopping yet. Or put the tree up. Or prepared myself for the bullshit of the holiday season.

Bleh.

I've told my family it's going to be another arts and crafts Christmas.  Ceramic ashtrays for everyone.

Ed Anger

I'd get cut if I did that.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

Christmas shopping. ugh.
I hate that.
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

Holy crap, 14 point buck in the back yard.  Dang it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 11, 2016, 11:55:54 AM

C'mon, man...by the time a buck grows 14 points, don't you think he's earned them?

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 11, 2016, 12:12:46 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 11, 2016, 11:55:54 AM

C'mon, man...by the time a buck grows 14 points, don't you think he's earned them?

So I should go for a doe, then?  :unsure:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall