News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

What does it mean?
Most distinctive to my mind sounds like rarest but obviously not. Most common in each state? Seems too simple....
██████
██████
██████

Syt

I'd think they may have defined distinctive as the one name most frequent that occurs more often in one state than in any others?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

Quote from: Syt on October 05, 2016, 07:07:02 AM
I'd think they may have defined distinctive as the one name most frequent that occurs more often in one state than in any others?
But then you wouldn't have any duplicates, would you?

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on October 05, 2016, 07:07:48 AM
Quote from: Syt on October 05, 2016, 07:07:02 AM
But then you wouldn't have any duplicates, would you?

If only there were some way of finding out what they did.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/86866/most-distinctive-last-names-state

QuoteAccording to the most recent publicly available U.S. Census data from the year 2000, the five most common last names in the United States are Smith, Johnson, Williams, Brown, and Jones. But what are the regional variations? While the Census Bureau breaks out each last name by race and ethnicity, it doesn't provide a count by state. There are other data sources, however. In 2014 Ancestry.com ran the numbers from their own database, and compiled the top three most common last names by state. With the exception of the Southwest states and Hawaii, the top few names nationwide tended to also dominate the state-specific rankings.

However, another way to uncover regional differences at the state level is to calculate the most distinctive last name by state. Using a methodology similar to the "Most Distinctive Obituary Euphemism for 'Died' in Each State" map, I calculated the difference between the state and national prevalence of each of the top 250 last names nationwide, based on Social Security Administration data. The highest value gives the last name that is most distinctive to that state.

By and large, the results are reflective of each state's demographics and immigration history. In New England and Appalachia, Irish and English names dominate (Walsh, Sullivan, Payne). In the Midwest and Mountain States, German and Scandinavian names are common (Jensen, Snyder, Carlson). In California, Florida, and the Southwest, it's Latino names (Lopez, Hernandez, Gonzalez). New York and New Jersey's Jewish communities also show up (Cohen, Schwartz, Hoffman).

To see the top five names for each state and for more about the methods and sources used to create this map, visit this post at SimonKnowz.com.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Spain had like five last names when they conquered the New World. I remember reading that that name Martinez was 18 times more common in Mexico than Smith was in the US.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

My next door neighbor in Ohio is a Snyder and one of my best friends growing in West Virginia was a McCoy.  It checks out.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josquius

Quote from: Valmy on October 05, 2016, 08:10:21 AM
Spain had like five last names when they conquered the New World. I remember reading that that name Martinez was 18 times more common in Mexico than Smith was in the US.
Thank god the Koreans spent most of their history turtling.
██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on October 05, 2016, 08:55:20 AM
My next door neighbor in Ohio is a Snyder and one of my best friends growing in West Virginia was a McCoy.  It checks out.

I like your neighbor's pretzels.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 05, 2016, 10:57:08 AM
Quote from: derspiess on October 05, 2016, 08:55:20 AM

I like your neighbor's pretzels.

Berlin or Hanover?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Quote from: Tyr on October 05, 2016, 09:58:15 AM
Thank god the Koreans spent most of their history turtling.

:bleeding:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Basically what happened:

1) Fewer Spaniards migrated to America than say, Englishmen.
2) Those were mainly drawn from the south-west of the country.
3) A large amount of those were soldiers. "-ez" surnames were pretty common among that particular social group.

Being a soldier in the XVIth century was still an affair that required some means. So a disproportionate amount of soldiers were hidalgos (low nobility or descended from low nobility), where -ez surnames were prevalent. Typically during the Reconquista, hundreds of small noble families would be created as the Christian armies pushed south, and the "son of" (-ez) moniker was very often used as the family name. 

So you draw from a pool of men used to bear arms from south/south-west Spain. What are you gonna get? Tons of López, Martínez and Hernández.

Syt

Hurricane Matthew makes landfall in Haiti.  :ph34r:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

So you all see the skull too, right?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.