And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

Quote from: Iormlund on September 20, 2016, 01:23:55 PM
That reminds me of something. I was recently sent a file on a machine another plant of the company wanted to "sell" us. Its value was listed as over half a million. It's a 12 year old machine and its technology is obsolete. Nobody in his right mind would acquire it. The only reason we will is because it's intra-company, so corporate will force us to eat that shit.

Seems typical. Lots of times companies have policies that intercompany pricing is just whatever it has been recorded at so you don't end up negotiating with yourself.

The problem is related to what you mention. The test for impairment is at a very high level, so sometimes signficant assets that are overvalued vs. their market value can stay that way. I've seen cases where a major asset is idled, but because the value it is recorded for is less than the market value, another part of the company that needs the asset will just go purchase it from a third party, with the idled asset remaining out of use. 
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

I just learned what Seedy's new job is.

free image upload
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

How can they advertise so openly?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

DGuller

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

MadImmortalMan

Is the way Janet Yellen talks some kind of weird accent, or does she have a speech impediment?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Sounds like a fairly common egghead academic way of speaking.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on September 21, 2016, 01:53:54 PM

An educated Jew. Like Karl Marx himself.

Good catch, derweiß.

Admiral Yi

Janet reminds me a bit of the little tiny brother in Mad Max.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 21, 2016, 02:08:52 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 21, 2016, 01:53:54 PM

An educated Jew. Like Karl Marx himself.

Good catch, derweiß.

:lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

Kids covering Maiden's Number of the Beast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP0JFPZT0x4

For an amateur cover those vocals are pretty impressive. :o Also, the drummer :D

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.