News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on November 10, 2015, 04:55:47 PM
A few other perspectives on the Missouri U thing: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/11/08/455232301/read-two-personal-statements-that-help-explain-the-situation-at-mizzou

These are important issues. The question is what to do about them. Everybody is kind of flailing around. So you get the militancy but with sort of vague goals.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on November 10, 2015, 04:55:47 PM
A few other perspectives on the Missouri U thing: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/11/08/455232301/read-two-personal-statements-that-help-explain-the-situation-at-mizzou

QuoteAs we were walking, we see four young Caucasian men, who looked as if they could be freshmen or sophomores, also walking along the trail and approaching us. They were all wearing white button­down dress shirts and neckties. Amber and I quickly noticed that they were intoxicated, as one of them was being held up by two of his friends. The fourth one was wearing a backwards baseball cap and was walking behind the other three.
As we began to grow closer in proximity to the group of young men, I noticed the most heavily intoxicated of the four was recording a Snapchat video. Seeing us walk by, he takes a look at both Amber and I. Then, he proceeded to look back towards his phone camera and said loudly "You're a nigger."
There was a silence among all six of us, as Amber and I stopped walking out of shock that the young man would boldly make such a statement. The young man that was walking behind them quickly slapped his friend's shoulder and said "Hey, you can't SAY that." Then turned to me (at this point, we were right in front of each other), said "He wasn't talking to you guys." and the entire group proceeded to walk off.

QuoteSome of you may recall my most recent experience while jogging on Route K in May of 2015 when I was approached by a white man in a white truck with a confederate flag very visible and proudly displayed. He leaned out his window (now keep in mind I run against traffic so his behavior was a blatant sign that something was about to happen). Not only did he spit at me, he called me the n-word and gave me the finger. Of course, I responded with "Oh yea, get out of your car you coward and say that to my face." He then raced off. Typical.

umm... okay? 

Clearly that's not the sort of thing that should happen in polite company... but I'm not sure how these kinds of incidents mean that Mizzou is some racist hellhole and that the President must resign.

But then again Jacob - I know anti-racism is your thing.  Do you want to tell me what I'm missing here?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

I don't think he was saying anything. He was showing us that America has a race problem and how the problems at Missouri are reflective of that. And only blind and deaf people who live in caves on mars are not aware of that and how ugly it is. We have only four hundred years of history on our shoulders.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Oh and UM is not an elite university but that is the kind of delusion of grandeur I am accustomed to hearing from them.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on November 10, 2015, 05:08:03 PM
I don't think he was saying anything. He was showing us that America has a race problem and how the problems at Missouri are reflective of that. And only blind and deaf people who live in caves on mars are not aware of that and how ugly it is. We have only four hundred years of history on our shoulders.

Well, I wouldn't mind hearing how that 400 year history (let alone a bunch of public assholishness on the part of random racists)  is going to be corrected with the football team not playing, a hunger strike, or forcing the university president to resign. Because right now, that looks like foolishness to this total outsider.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

I'm not arguing America doesn't have a race problem, but I am saying these anecdotes aren't actually proof of that.

The first one in particular.  It's just some dumb, drunk freshman.  His own friends even hit him and say "you can't say that".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on November 10, 2015, 05:13:35 PM
Well, I wouldn't mind hearing how that 400 year history (let alone a bunch of public assholishness on the part of random racists)  is going to be corrected with the football team not playing, a hunger strike, or forcing the university president to resign. Because right now, that looks like foolishness to this total outsider.  ;)

Well that is the thing. Nobody really knows what to do about it at this point.

Maybe time and intermarriage.

Admiral Yi

I don't think he was saying anything.

I thought it was very much implied that Jacob supported the protesters demands.

Yes or no Jacob?

Personally my position is similar to Beeb's.  Those things that happened are bad things, but I don't see the connection between them and the changes demanded.

The Brain

I was called a "fucking skinhead" once by a stranger in the street. Which was both disturbing and incomprehensible since I got a great head of hair.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

frunk

Quote from: The Brain on November 10, 2015, 05:20:59 PM
I was called a "fucking skinhead" once by a stranger in the street. Which was both disturbing and incomprehensible since I got a great head of hair.

Maybe it was just a declaration by the stranger of their current or planned activities.

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on November 10, 2015, 05:13:35 PM

To be honest, I'm not sure what sort of transformative action we are expecting these young people to undertake.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on November 10, 2015, 05:33:07 PM
To be honest, I'm not sure what sort of transformative action we are expecting these young people to undertake.

I'm not particularly expecting any.

I'm just asking why they, or those that support them, think the actions they *are actually* undertaking make any sort of sense.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Not taking some sort of action is preferable?