Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: katmai on December 09, 2009, 09:16:23 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 09, 2009, 07:38:05 PM
It's 4:30 p.m. and it's almost pitch black outside.  <_<

Less than two weeks till it starts going the other way. :hug:

Amen :hug:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

DisturbedPervert

Finally got the repairman to come fix my airconditioner.  Past two days it's been acting up and randomly turning off.   :)

Josquius

Woohoo, I've just gotten an A on a 15 credit module.
And thats a ECTS A. i.e. a freakishly impossible 98%.
Modules without exams FTW.
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Does anyone remember that STNG episode when Ryker brings in some sort of Virtual Reality-like headsets and everyone on the Enterprise starts playing this computer game and gets addicted? Does anyone remember what it was called? Or what season it was in?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Nevermind. It was "The GAme". Season Five. Ep. Six.

Thanks.  ;)

Josquius

Report back if its anygood.
It sounds wonderfully silly.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

I had the strangest dream.  I dreamt my brother was a God over species of geometric two beings, my mother got breast implants to impress the fish people and I married a black woman.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on December 10, 2009, 08:05:53 AM
Apparently the gulf stream is the north american bit and the north atlantic drift the bit that extends to europe, so they're different things.
But meh, thats dull
We call the whole thing the Gulf Stream.

MadImmortalMan

Beer could be the new weapon against cancer

Published Date: 09 December 2009
By John von Radowitz
MEN now have another excuse to go down the pub thanks to new research suggesting that a compound in beer may prevent prostate cancer.
Tests showed that the ingredient, xanthohumol, blocked a biological pathway that allows prostate cancer to be fuelled by the male hormone testosterone.

The disease is commonly treated with drugs that act in a similar way.

Xanthohumol is a powerful antioxidant derived from hops. It belongs to a family of chemicals called flavonoids found in fruits and vegetables that are known to have anti-cancer properties.

Previous studies have already suggested that xanthohumol may block the female hormone oestrogen's ability to stimulate breast cancer. Scientists now believe it may have a similar effect in men.

In laboratory tests, the compound blocked the molecular "switch" that allows testosterone to trigger changes in prostate cells that may lead to cancer.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

sbr

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 11, 2009, 05:45:03 PM

Beer could be the new weapon against cancer

Published Date: 09 December 2009
By John von Radowitz
MEN now have another excuse to go down the pub thanks to new research suggesting that a compound in beer may prevent prostate cancer.
Tests showed that the ingredient, xanthohumol, blocked a biological pathway that allows prostate cancer to be fuelled by the male hormone testosterone.

The disease is commonly treated with drugs that act in a similar way.

Xanthohumol is a powerful antioxidant derived from hops. It belongs to a family of chemicals called flavonoids found in fruits and vegetables that are known to have anti-cancer properties.

Previous studies have already suggested that xanthohumol may block the female hormone oestrogen's ability to stimulate breast cancer. Scientists now believe it may have a similar effect in men.

In laboratory tests, the compound blocked the molecular "switch" that allows testosterone to trigger changes in prostate cells that may lead to cancer.

That's the best news I have heard in a long time.  :)

Josephus

So, to summarize....are they saying "DRINK MORE BEER?" :cheers:

sbr

QuoteChemistry student killed by 'exploding chewing gum'

A CHEMISTRY student has reportedly been killed by what is believed to be exploding chewing gum.

Russian news agency Ria Novosti reports the 25-year-old chemistry student was found dead with his jaw blown off after he was working on a computer at his parents' house in the Ukraine city of Konotop.

"A loud pop was heard from the student's room," a city police chief aide told ukranews.com.

"When his relatives entered the room they saw that the lower part of the young man's face had been blown off."

The man was studying at Ukraine's Kiev Polytechnic Institute and was known for his habit of dipping chewing in citric acid.

Ria Novosti reports police found both citric acid packets and "some kind of explosive material" on a table in his parents's room.

They believe he may have confused the two packets, dipping thegum into the explosive material rather than the citric acid.

Forensic experts will travel from Kiev tomorrow to investigate the substance, as local authorities feared it may explode if transported.

http://www.news.com.au/weird-true-freaky/chemistry-student-killed-by-exploding-chewing-gum/story-e6frflri-1225808518676?from=public_rss

Yes, the article is poorly written.

katmai

What if anything can one gleam from this little fact
Of the top ten thread starters,
Posters #6-10 have 354 threads  started combined
Poster #1 has 351 all by himself.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

jimmy olsen

Quote from: katmai on December 12, 2009, 02:53:22 AM
I'm awesome?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

katmai

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 12, 2009, 02:56:52 AM
Quote from: katmai on December 12, 2009, 02:53:22 AM
I'm awesome?

I was gonna say too much time on your hands :P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son