News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 12, 2014, 02:08:30 PM
The market has been going down since CNBC became obsessed with a couple window washers stuck on the side of the WTC. News is brain poison.

The invisible hand can't clean its own windows, man.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 12, 2014, 02:33:25 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 12, 2014, 02:08:30 PM
The market has been going down since CNBC became obsessed with a couple window washers stuck on the side of the WTC. News is brain poison.

The invisible hand can't clean its own windows, man.

It's stupid that tradebots can move the market based on something like that. Parsing tweets and the crawls on CNBC is now a thing that hurts your 401k. The AP got it's twitter account hacked a while back and they tweeted some explosions in the White House. The market flashcrashed a hundred points from that.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Only affects you negatively if you sell into a dip or buy into a spike.

I would think an egghead like you would think of these as profit opportunities.  Buy calls on dips.  Buy puts on spikes.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 12, 2014, 02:42:10 PM
It's stupid that tradebots can move the market based on something like that. Parsing tweets and the crawls on CNBC is now a thing that hurts your 401k. The AP got it's twitter account hacked a while back and they tweeted some explosions in the White House. The market flashcrashed a hundred points from that.

We've had this discussion on Languish before.  Tradebots are merely fulfilling the will of the market, just a little faster.  It's all fair play for the house's roulette wheel.

And don't use the term "your 401k"; use "one's 401k".  You don't know who you're insulting that doesn't have them anymore.

derspiess

Can we get a cheat sheet of all your personal grievances and/or triggers, Seedy?  I know we ought to remember, but damn there are so many.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Can't throw the brick they're wrapped around that far anymore.

Malthus

It is, apparently, the anniversary of the great Oregon Whale Explosion.

Have a rotting whale problem? Nothing that a few hundred pounds of dynamite can't solve! Or maybe not ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD5sPgV61bw&src_vid=xBgThvB_IDQ&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_696072
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 12, 2014, 03:06:32 PM
Can't throw the brick they're wrapped around that far anymore.

You need some cheering up. Did you know Sam Neill got to see Montana after all? They can never take that away from us.  :)
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

sbr

Quote from: Malthus on November 12, 2014, 03:57:30 PM
It is, apparently, the anniversary of the great Oregon Whale Explosion.

Have a rotting whale problem? Nothing that a few hundred pounds of dynamite can't solve! Or maybe not ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD5sPgV61bw&src_vid=xBgThvB_IDQ&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_696072

:lol:  I watch that video every once in a while but I never remembered the date.  Thanks for thhe reminder.

Barrister

Article entitled "the Time I spent on a Commercial Whaling Boat Totally Changed My Perspective on the World":

http://www.clickhole.com/blogpost/time-i-spent-commercial-whaling-ship-totally-chang-768
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Probably ripped from a book.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

YOU'RE RIPPED FROM A BOOK. :ultra:

██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on November 12, 2014, 05:25:28 PM
YOU'RE RIPPED FROM A BOOK. :ultra:

And he's ripped like a guy who reads lots of books.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller