News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 26, 2014, 04:00:32 PM
Of course, in the US Embassy in London 'Independence Day' is called 'Day of Abstinence' :)

I can't find anything to support this.

In fact this from 2011 suggests they simply have a 4th of July party.

http://london.usembassy.gov/amb-speeches/susman038.html
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on August 26, 2014, 04:13:04 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 26, 2014, 04:00:32 PM
Of course, in the US Embassy in London 'Independence Day' is called 'Day of Abstinence' :)

I can't find anything to support this.

In fact this from 2011 suggests they simply have a 4th of July party.

http://london.usembassy.gov/amb-speeches/susman038.html
'Also, we are glad that no grudges are held any more from our independence.

*Clears throat, shuffles papers*

About the burning of the White House, however...'

I think the saddest thing about this is that it turns out the US is one of those countries that takes offence :P :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

From a review:

"... and some of the scientists are now left-handed - and that's sinister!"

:lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Test results for my Japanese test are in, I failed and with less points than last year. My Japanese has gotten....worse? Wow.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

It seems clothes chain Zara drew some ire for selling their baby shirt "Sheriff". Apparently some people thought it looked too much like a concentration camp outfit.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on August 27, 2014, 09:34:30 AM
It seems clothes chain Zara drew some ire for selling their baby shirt "Sheriff". Apparently some people thought it looked too much like a concentration camp outfit.

:lol:

How adorable!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

That will make standing in the corner more hilarious.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malthus

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 27, 2014, 09:37:04 AM
That will make standing in the corner more hilarious.

Especially hilarious if you dress up your whole flock of kids in these, while you wear a balck Hugo Boss suit.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

It seems a few years ago the same chain advertised "White is the new black!"
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Is there a matching set?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

I came here to post the same story :D

Incidentally, the line went up in Israel too. And apparently, when they were apologising and saying that they will destroy the pyjamas, they also used a wrong Hebrew word and said they will "exterminate" the pyjamas.  :lol:

sbr

Barrister

Canada's representative at NATO tweeted the following pic with the tag line of "Geography can be tough. Here's a guide for Russian soldiers who keep getting lost & 'accidentally' entering #Ukraine "

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on August 27, 2014, 01:35:20 PM
Incidentally, the line went up in Israel too. And apparently, when they were apologising and saying that they will destroy the pyjamas, they also used a wrong Hebrew word and said they will "exterminate" the pyjamas.  :lol:

That's awesome.   :lol:

I'm just amazed that it got through the entire planning and production processes without a single "Uh, guys..."

Ideologue

Quote from: Barrister on August 27, 2014, 02:56:07 PM
Canada's representative at NATO tweeted the following pic with the tag line of "Geography can be tough. Here's a guide for Russian soldiers who keep getting lost & 'accidentally' entering #Ukraine "

But it all belongs to Mother Russia.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)