News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

The ECJ has just decided that dead people have a right to paid vacation that goes into their estate and the widow can claim it. Strange.

Syt

I can kinda of see it. If you quit a job but still have vacation days left, you will normally get them as a pay out. Guess that she was claiming with his death there was no opportunity for him to claim the vacation, therefore a payout applies, which s due to her as the widow (she - or any other heir - would also get all residual salary payments as any financial obligations/receivables are inherited).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

alfred russel

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 11, 2014, 10:22:55 PM
Yeah but nearly everyone in California lives near the coast.

And nearly everyone in Japan lives on Honshu.

Another major difference is that California was built up in the era of the car and in a society affluent enough that planners assumed everyone had a car. Plus we built an incredible interstate highway system. For shortish distances, it is hard for trains to compete with cars in the US, and for truly long distance travel trains are not competitive with air (even in Europe).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: Liep on June 12, 2014, 03:44:08 AM
Concentrated hair growth was probably well after we learned to use tools. So I guess nature already knew.

Maybe nature has anticipated my loss of ability to use tools and having my hairline recede accordingly.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on June 12, 2014, 08:12:17 AM
Quote from: Liep on June 12, 2014, 03:44:08 AM
Concentrated hair growth was probably well after we learned to use tools. So I guess nature already knew.

Maybe nature has anticipated my loss of ability to use tools and having my hairline recede accordingly.

:D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

I can still use my tool.

Ed Anger

It's covered in blueberries.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on June 12, 2014, 08:27:38 AM
I can still use my tool.

I think it is time to stop the constant practicing and schedule some away games.  :P

DGuller

derspiess

That's actually some good advice, DG.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ideologue

I liked your comic Tim.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Jacob

Today I learned that the name "Gropecunt Lane" (and variations thereof) were common streetnames in Medieaval England - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gropecunt_Lane

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on June 12, 2014, 01:47:51 PM
Today I learned that the name "Gropecunt Lane" (and variations thereof) were common streetnames in Medieaval England - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gropecunt_Lane

I know there is still a Grope Lane in Shrewsbury. When I was there, I admit it looked exactly like what I thought a Grope Lane would look like.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

I've come to the realization that sprawl is actually the solution, not the problem.

Humans don't want to live in Little Boxes(R).

Every time some human gets nearly unlimited power to do whatever he wants, what does he do? Versailles, Lake Bled, Berchtesgaden....They make themselves some place to escape from everyone.

People need space from each other in order to be healthy.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Brain

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 12, 2014, 02:05:39 PM
I've come to the realization that sprawl is actually the solution, not the problem.

Humans don't want to live in Little Boxes(R).

Every time some human gets nearly unlimited power to do whatever he wants, what does he do? Versailles, Lake Bled, Berchtesgaden....They make themselves some place to escape from everyone.

People need space from each other in order to be healthy.

OK Typhoid Mary.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.