Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Zanza

The Brain

Quotea right to work no more than 48 hours per week.

:lol: Good old EU.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Norgy

Ideologue

Quote from: Zanza on June 08, 2014, 03:23:18 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on June 08, 2014, 02:06:18 AM
I thought this was unlawful in Europe.
It is. The law is usually not enforced though.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_Time_Directive

That's some bullshit, then.  Iorm, neither you nor your employer should be breaking the law designed to implement the economic policy of your state, any more so than you should be paid less than the minimum wage or you should work as a doctor without a license.  Your friend's tantrum was justified.  That said, you're a victim, too.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Also I expect a lot of people are about to act like what I just said was some kind of ideological monstrosity or even a personal attack--when all I said was that people ought to, in general, obey the law.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Iormlund

Quote from: Ideologue on June 08, 2014, 04:45:02 PM
Quote from: Zanza on June 08, 2014, 03:23:18 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on June 08, 2014, 02:06:18 AM
I thought this was unlawful in Europe.
It is. The law is usually not enforced though.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_Time_Directive

That's some bullshit, then.  Iorm, neither you nor your employer should be breaking the law designed to implement the economic policy of your state, any more so than you should be paid less than the minimum wage or you should work as a doctor without a license.  Your friend's tantrum was justified.  That said, you're a victim, too.

The law says average of 48 hours a week. My usual week has about 40 hours of work. But during commissioning this jumps up to whatever is needed (basically only enough rest to keep going). This is perfectly lawful.

Ideologue

Very well.  You're a hard worker and I hope you carry on. :hug:

I thought you were pulling an average of 80.  Which would be awful though not impossible.
Kinemalogue

Iormlund

My average might be about 60h/week so far, but that's just because I've been here only for a few weeks and half of that time was in commissioning mode. It should go down eventually, though not before Fall (first comes this phase for a Tier 1 supplier, then final commissioning on their site in Poland, then in August switch projects to an OEM not far from here). My case is also fairly unusual in that I actually enjoy doing what I do. The day goes very fast and I'm learning a lot of useful stuff (robots, welding, lasers ...). Well, except during social calls. Bleh, leave that to sales guys.

That been said, there are many instances of violations of employment law. Some are rooted in tradition -- for example many white collar workers (like yours truly) don't receive overtime, whereas manual workers such as electricians or plumbers typically do. This is usually settled during the job interview. If the employee is valuable enough though, a smart employer will often grant some kind of bonus regardless when workload is significantly increased. I asked the boss for one yesterday and he agreed.

The people who are worst off are obviously those without marketable skills. With so many unemployed they are basically fucked, but I don't have much experience in that area (most of my friends have either a uni degree or some useful vocational training).

Ideologue

In fairness, I was bummed out when I was capped at 40hrs/wk.

I still don't understand that, unless it's a tacit admission that for the previous year and nine months they'd been violating the FLSA.
Kinemalogue

mongers

I like employers who are flexible, some give and take on both parts, help get the job done; I once successfully negotiated to get paid for the hours of the morning and evening commutes, as I argued Id be picking up some fellow workers on route.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

You're a really strong cyclist.
Kinemalogue

Iormlund

That must be an awfully big basket you have in your bike. :lol:

On the original point, the truth is my friend is not out of a job becuase someone else is working too much. The truth is he's not qualified to do what I do. He has no job because of the way he has handled his career. And he knows it. During the good old days he kept jumping ship (and role) as soon as someone offered him a better salary. His CV speaks of someone without a defined profile who won't stick around for long. So now he's in long-term unemployment despite his engineering degree.

mongers

Quote from: Ideologue on June 08, 2014, 05:32:02 PM
You're a really strong cyclist.

:D

No just a large pick-up.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

Do you want to work the longest hours? Do like me, become a freelancer! Trifles like workplace legislation don't apply to us.