And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: alfred russel on April 24, 2014, 09:16:07 AM
Quote from: Syt on April 24, 2014, 08:57:08 AM
That's true - but sometimes it's still nice to go to a Cinnabon instead (though it's rare; they're in distant parts of town for me). :P

When you absolutely, positively need to get diabetes by the end of the week.  :P

Maybe I'm jsut looking at this from my point of view. CC gave me a bunch of grief when I posted that in Europe my go to place is Subway, with some trips to McDonalds (which I don't visit in the US). But I doubt I'd ever go to a Dunkin Donuts.

It depends on where you are, I guess. But for fifteen to twenty Euros you can get a good meal and drink at a non-fastfood place like 7Sternbräu or Salmbräu or one of the smaller family owned restaurants off the main paths (like where I took RH). If you like it more posh you can expect around 50 Euros at a place like Plachutta.

But spicy is right - donuts are mostly a niche product, so I guess DD is banking on filling that niche.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

alfred russel

Quote from: Syt on April 24, 2014, 09:34:11 AM
It depends on where you are, I guess. But for fifteen to twenty Euros you can get a good meal and drink at a non-fastfood place like 7Sternbräu or Salmbräu or one of the smaller family owned restaurants off the main paths (like where I took RH). If you like it more posh you can expect around 50 Euros at a place like Plachutta.

But spicy is right - donuts are mostly a niche product, so I guess DD is banking on filling that niche.

Those are more expensive and probably a bit slower than subway. Also, probably a bit less healthy (which is a problem if you are traveling and eating out every meal).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Syt

Well, there's plenty vegetarian places around, too. And instead of hunting one of our four Subway shops, you might just walk into a regular bakery, most of which will also sell sandwiches, salads and more. ;)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

derspiess

I OD'ed on ham & cheese sandwiches in The Netherlands, but I don't think I ever ran across a Subway there.  Burger King was all over the place, though.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josquius

10 years ago there was no subway in the uk. Since then it has spread like crazy, you find shops just around the corner from each other. In Newcastle one put another out of business
██████
██████
██████

alfred russel

Quote from: Syt on April 24, 2014, 09:53:44 AM
Well, there's plenty vegetarian places around, too. And instead of hunting one of our four Subway shops, you might just walk into a regular bakery, most of which will also sell sandwiches, salads and more. ;)

I may have a different take on healthy. I need to cram as many calories into myself as possible--salads and vegetarian food doesn't cut it.

Your puny Euro sandwiches don't cut it either. Also, the processed subway bread, while in every tangible way inferior to what is sold in a standard euro bakery, I sort of prefer (I am a barbarian  :(). A foot long sub from subway, with a bag of chips and coke, is a decent sized lunch, fast, cheap, and while not really all that healthy, isn't as bad as it could be.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Grey Fox

How much is a foot long in the US nowadays?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

I think you may enjoy what the "Der Mann" bakeries sell as "Soft Italo": it's a soft Italian bread, about a foot long, with Italian salami, prosciutto, dried peppers, olives, cheese and tomato sauce and rucola (or rocket salad). Of course it sells for the whopping price of EUR 3.10. I sometimes pick it up as my lunch.
—Stephen Jay Gould

derspiess

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 24, 2014, 10:19:15 AM

Still 12 inches.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

derspiess

Quote from: alfred russel on April 24, 2014, 10:16:37 AM
Your puny Euro sandwiches don't cut it either. Also, the processed subway bread, while in every tangible way inferior to what is sold in a standard euro bakery, I sort of prefer (I am a barbarian  :(). A foot long sub from subway, with a bag of chips and coke, is a decent sized lunch, fast, cheap, and while not really all that healthy, isn't as bad as it could be.

Since they switched to the new bread (i.e., without the yoga mat stuff), the bread at one nearby place has been horrible.  Yet at the spot I go to downtown it's better. 

alfred russel

Quote from: Syt on April 24, 2014, 10:19:35 AM
I think you may enjoy what the "Der Mann" bakeries sell as "Soft Italo": it's a soft Italian bread, about a foot long, with Italian salami, prosciutto, dried peppers, olives, cheese and tomato sauce and rucola (or rocket salad). Of course it sells for the whopping price of EUR 3.10. I sometimes pick it up as my lunch.

I'm obviously not as up on all the options as a native, but it sems a lot of those sort of sandwiches don't have a lot of meat and veggies.

GF, it really depends what you get. They usually have options in the $5-6 range, as specials. When I go, I usually get the special of the day, which is a foot long, chips, and a drink for $6.

derspiess

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 24, 2014, 10:38:17 AM
Quote from: derspiess on April 24, 2014, 10:37:11 AM

Still 12 inches.

:lol:

$

:P

They rotate a monthly $5 footlong and you can always get ham and I think bologna & other stuff for $5.  And some locations have a daily special $5 footlong.  Turkey is $6 and 'premium' footlongs can go upwards of $8.50-ish.

alfred russel

Quote from: derspiess on April 24, 2014, 10:37:11 AM

Still 12 inches.

They recently got sued because someone measured their subs and found they were, on average, more like 11 inches. Subway was arguing that their "foot long" advertising wasn't meant to convey a measurement, but was a marketing slogan. Or something like that.

Grey Fox

Still semi-cheap.

Haven't subway in years. I still remember fondly their Tacos and Austrich sandwiches.