News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

:(  I am not really from Wyoming.  I was born in California
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Eddie Teach

I'm not really from the South. I was born in Virginia.  :sleep:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 13, 2014, 09:35:17 PM

I am not really from Texas, I was born in Austin.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

I was born in Baltimore, not Bawlmer.

katmai

Lived in California as much as I have Alaska, and yet from Colorado.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on April 13, 2014, 09:36:58 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 13, 2014, 09:35:17 PM

I am not really from Texas, I was born in Austin.

I guess I should come clean too...I am actually a Nigerian prince. I have been hiding my identity on the forum because I am ashamed to be destitute. It is especially hard because I have assets worth millions in Nigeria, but can not access them due to my poverty. Please PM me if you think you can help.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ed Anger

I will send you my bank info.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on April 13, 2014, 10:04:33 PM
I guess I should come clean too...I am actually a Nigerian prince. I have been hiding my identity on the forum because I am ashamed to be destitute.

Nonsense everybody knows you are Latino.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Brain

He is a black man. Call him a liar.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 13, 2014, 06:34:32 PM
Quote from: Malthus on April 13, 2014, 11:17:56 AM
Disraeli was an Anglican convert (he had to be, to enter politics).

Interestingly, he wrote the very first alt-history book: The Wondrous Tale of Alroy, about a Jew who founds a world-spanning empire in the middle ages (!).
His family converted when he was 12 after his dad got into a huge argument with their synagogue.

It's also interesting how much Disraeli later played up to his Jewish heritage to enhance his own 'exoticness' and 'otherness' which he liked to emphasise in his rather theatrical political persona. For example that line to Victoria or his famous response to anti-semitic goading by Daniel O'Connell that 'yes, I am a Jew. And when the ancestors of the right honorable gentlemen were brutal savages in an unknown island, mine were priests in the temple of Solomon.'

Having just read a biography of Gladstone I plan to read one of Disraeli. I can't think of anyone else like them. Two extraordinary figures with such totally different characters (with a shared, but different, theatricality) who dominate an entire generation of history and both achieved a great deal.

Love the Tom of Finland stamps :lol:

Yes, but at the time, if he hadn't converted, he could not have been PM - the office required an oath on one's faith as a Christian. Of course, everyone considered him basically a Jew, because of his ancestry (himself included).

I too would love to read a bio of him. I think it is hilarious that he's the 19th century answer to Harry Turtledove in his writing.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on April 14, 2014, 09:25:12 AM
Disraeli was a Jew?!?

A historical fact so obscure leading British politicians are unaware of it.

CountDeMoney

Disraeli was a Jew?!?

You'd think the prefix of "dis" would've meant "not a Jew", amirite?

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 14, 2014, 09:27:21 AM
Disraeli was a Jew?!?

No shit.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on April 14, 2014, 09:29:16 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 14, 2014, 09:27:21 AM
Disraeli was a Jew?!?

No shit.

Instead, it's Jersey-speak.  Dis is a Jew, and dat one is a Jew, too.