And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on September 18, 2013, 02:32:06 PM
Well, whatever:

www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-09-06/not-looking-for-work-labor-force-participation-hits-35-year-low

QuoteNot Looking for Work: Labor-Force Participation Hits 35-Year Low

The unemployment rate fell in August but for the worst of reasons: Many Americans stopped looking for work so they weren't counted among the unemployed. What's harder to tell is why they stopped looking. The political right chalks it up to laziness and government coddling, while the political left says people are giving up looking because a dysfunctional economy isn't producing enough jobs.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics said the August unemployment rate was 7.3 percent, down a tick from 7.4 percent in July. The worrisome part is why the rate fell. The size of the workforce declined by about 300,000 and the participation rate fell to 63.2 percent from 63.4 percent—the lowest since August 1978. The participation rate is the number of people either working or actively searching for work as a share of the working-age population. It rose steadily over the years as more women entered the workforce before falling sharply in the 2007-09 recession, and it hasn't recovered since.

Also disappointing was the payroll report. While the 169,000 added to employers' payrolls in August wasn't far below the 180,000 median prediction of economists surveyed by Bloomberg, there was a downward revision of 74,000 jobs to the previous two months' reports. The government said June payrolls grew by only 172,000, rather than 188,000; July's grew by only 102,000, instead of 162,000. In other words, while employment did grow in August, it was from a substantially lower starting point than previously believed.

Some quick reactions from observers:

• John Silvia, a Wells Fargo economist, noted that declining participation in the labor force is "bad for financing entitlements"—fewer workers to support recipients of Social Security and Medicare.

• Mark Grant, an analyst for Southwest Securities, called the report "dismal" in a note to clients, and said it could cause the Federal Reserve to delay its plans for tapering its $85 billion-a-month bond-buying program.

• Paul Ashworth, chief U.S. economist at Capital Economics in Toronto, predicted that the Fed would still go ahead with a tapering announcement at its next meeting later this month, but added, "we're not going to pretend this is a certainty."

• The National Employment Law Project, which represents low-wage workers, noted that much of the August job growth was in retail and food services, which typically offer low-paying and part-time jobs.

The monthly jobs report is two reports in one. The payroll figure comes from a survey of workplace establishments. The unemployment rate comes from a survey of households. The household survey found that employment actually fell by 115,000 in August, but was offset by a decline of 312,000 in the labor force, causing the slight downtick in the jobless rate.

Other indicators in the report were more positive. Average weekly hours rose to 34.5 from 34.4, average hourly earnings rose 0.2 percent, and temporary employment—sometimes a leading indicator of demand for workers [note: LOL]—rose by 13,000.

And so on till we're dead.

Nobody gives a shit.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Shit, I forgot to bake an anniversary cake this week.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 18, 2013, 08:05:54 PM

Shit, I forgot to bake an anniversary cake this week.

How can you, an animal died in that bombing.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

He was martyred accordingly.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on September 18, 2013, 09:34:41 PM
Just for Ed and derspeiss:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=77HJA9C6SXc#t=20

Hmm, I've never had that brand of Fernet before.  It's Czech-made, so I'm sure it's good.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Quote from: merithyn on September 18, 2013, 10:36:07 PM
:lol:

Lost in Translation
I really hope a non-Chinese speaker wants a cunt examination at that hospital. :lol:
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tamas

Next part of the "Brits are stupid because they don`t do stuff like Hungarians" series is: salami.

WTF your supermarkets are selling German and Italian stuff which although acceptable, would barely register on the low end in Hungarian supermarkets. Y U NO EATING PROPER SALAMI!

Josquius

Oh kharma. Fresh off laughing at the Chinese and their poor English I just got a confused email back from someone I'm trying to buy a fridge from.
Turns out I typed not 冷蔵庫, reizouku, a fridge. But 隷属, reizoku, slavery. I want to collect his slaves...
██████
██████
██████