The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

Quote from: derspiess on September 18, 2013, 02:57:42 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 18, 2013, 02:49:57 PM
Makes sense.

In this day & age, I suppose it does.

One of the ways in which this day and age is superior to all other days and ages.

lustindarkness

They should ban discos, 2nd hand smoke and throwing a glass at someones head.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Guy picks fight with girl then presses charges? What a weenie.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on September 18, 2013, 03:13:54 PM

Except it says that the girl didn't press charges against him.  I understood the summary to be that it was the girl who was on trial.

Oh. I understood it to be him on trial, but it didn't move forward because she didn't press charges. (The prosecuter was arguing her case against the guy, it seems.) Also, am I wrong in thinking that for something like this, the victim doesn't have to press charges? Obviously, in Austria they do, but in the US, do they? I thought that was no longer required.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on September 18, 2013, 03:29:18 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 18, 2013, 03:13:54 PM

Except it says that the girl didn't press charges against him.  I understood the summary to be that it was the girl who was on trial.

Oh. I understood it to be him on trial, but it didn't move forward because she didn't press charges. (The prosecuter was arguing her case against the guy, it seems.) Also, am I wrong in thinking that for something like this, the victim doesn't have to press charges? Obviously, in Austria they do, but in the US, do they? I thought that was no longer required.

In these parts it is the police, not individuals, who press charges.  However, except on the most serious matters (and domestic violence is always serious) if the victim doesn't want to go to court we defer to their wishes.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on September 18, 2013, 03:50:07 PM

In these parts it is the police, not individuals, who press charges.  However, except on the most serious matters (and domestic violence is always serious) if the victim doesn't want to go to court we defer to their wishes.

:huh:

This isn't a domestic violence thing.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on September 18, 2013, 03:52:20 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 18, 2013, 03:50:07 PM

:huh:

This isn't a domestic violence thing.

I didn't say it was.  But it's one area where we always charge, even if the victim doesn't want to go to court.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Maximus on September 18, 2013, 03:14:46 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 18, 2013, 02:57:42 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 18, 2013, 02:49:57 PM
Makes sense.

In this day & age, I suppose it does.

One of the ways in which this day and age is superior to all other days and ages.

This day and age? It was at a disco. The guy probably thought it was 1976.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Tonitrus

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on September 18, 2013, 02:08:38 PM
Quote from: DGuller on September 18, 2013, 01:40:28 PM
Yeah, but the engine is probably FUBAR, as well as all the guts of the car.

Still, frames alone are worth five figures nowadays.  The body panels look like they are in decent shape, too.

The panels look rusted through (front left quarter panel anyway) to me.  But even covered in mud, it looks like a beauty.

Ed Anger

Bitches need to be choked.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

I am in a great deal of pain.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on September 18, 2013, 06:43:22 PM
I am in a great deal of pain.

:(

I'll stop posting, should help.   :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on September 18, 2013, 02:24:03 PM
Hey, Money, anyone, do we not have an economy megathread?  Shouldn't we?

Why?  What's the fucking point?  It's all bullshit anyway.