Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 12, 2013, 08:42:32 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 12, 2013, 08:41:09 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on September 12, 2013, 08:39:56 PM
I'm suddenly uncomfortable about hiring most of you.

Since when could you afford me? :unsure:

I think I could. But damn, the cost of glitter would strain my resources.

I hear you. That Ohio money doesn't count for much in civilized places (France :rolleyes:).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tonitrus

Quote from: Ideologue on September 12, 2013, 08:38:14 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on September 12, 2013, 08:23:24 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on September 12, 2013, 08:20:18 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on September 12, 2013, 08:19:39 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on September 12, 2013, 08:15:53 PM
I was checking on businesses for sale, and there is a bikini soccer team for sale.  :lol:

HAIL PATARICHY

We should all chip in for a Languish team.  We can make CdM the head coach.

WTF

Like the man said...I saw you more of an owner's box type.

Ide can be the water boy.  Those bikinis don't get wet by themselves.

I feel that my talents as a trainer would be wasted.  "121?  WELL IF YOU WANTED TO MAKE ME PUKE YOU'VE SUCCEEDED METAPHORICALLY."

Fired.  Timmah can be the new water boy.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on September 12, 2013, 08:35:14 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on September 12, 2013, 08:29:07 PM
Meri can be in charge of the adding machines.

I believe from our village discussion that she was already in charge of bacchanalias. Those seem equally applicable, if not more so, to sport teams.

I'M ON IT!!

*dodges the boobs to find just the right guys for the thong cheerleading squad*
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 12, 2013, 08:56:16 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 12, 2013, 08:38:14 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on September 12, 2013, 08:23:24 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on September 12, 2013, 08:20:18 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on September 12, 2013, 08:19:39 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on September 12, 2013, 08:15:53 PM
I was checking on businesses for sale, and there is a bikini soccer team for sale.  :lol:

HAIL PATARICHY

We should all chip in for a Languish team.  We can make CdM the head coach.

WTF

Like the man said...I saw you more of an owner's box type.

Ide can be the water boy.  Those bikinis don't get wet by themselves.

I feel that my talents as a trainer would be wasted.  "121?  WELL IF YOU WANTED TO MAKE ME PUKE YOU'VE SUCCEEDED METAPHORICALLY."

Fired.  Timmah can be the new water boy.

NO

Ed Anger

Quote from: merithyn on September 12, 2013, 08:59:49 PM

I believe from our village discussion that she was already in charge of bacchanalias. Those seem equally applicable, if not more so, to sport teams.

I'M ON IT!!

This is why we can't have nice things.

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 12, 2013, 09:03:22 PM
Quote from: merithyn on September 12, 2013, 08:59:49 PM

I'M ON IT!!

This is why we can't have nice things.

You mean that's why we can have nice things. :cool:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 12, 2013, 07:52:43 PM
Just heard on interesting story about airlines on NPR.

Not too long ago (I didn't catch the exact year) airlines used to get 98% of their profit from the actual ticket.  Now it's down to 2/3, the remainder coming from "ancillary fees" (baggage, snacks, headphones, etc.).  One guy claimed that for the price shopping traveller the airline is breaking even on the ticket, or even losing money.
How do they define losing money on a ticket?  I imagine there are high fixed costs in running the route, as well as price discrimination strategies employed, which means that cheap tickets may be the only alternative to not flying anyone at all.  In that case, it would be silly to claim to lose money on a passenger who snagged a seat on the cheap that would otherwise be empty.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 12, 2013, 02:12:44 PM
:D

I would vote for anyone the GOP put up over Warren.  Any.  One.
I wouldn't vote for her, but that's a rather broad statement. What if they put up a Ron Paulesque libertarian or someone completely terrible like that Witch from NJ? I'd vote 3rd candidate or write in instead.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

alfred russel

Not too long ago (I didn't catch the exact year) airlines used to get 98% of their profit from the actual ticket.  Now it's down to 2/3, the remainder coming from "ancillary fees" (baggage, snacks, headphones, etc.).  One guy claimed that for the price shopping traveller the airline is breaking even on the ticket, or even losing money.

I'd rather they go back to the old method. Yes I realize they are probably saving on some labor now that there are baggage fees and more people carry on. But for the most part, you have everyone trying to carry large bags on, and all sorts of problems fitting stuff into overhead bins (which flight attendants have to monitor and assist with), while just below is an empty cargo area. There usually are some people that aren't able to fit their bags in overhead bins because of the overcrowding there and have to check carry on items at the gate, which slows everything down and causes some lost bags.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 12, 2013, 09:40:11 PM
I wouldn't vote for her, but that's a rather broad statement. What if they put up a Ron Paulesque libertarian or someone completely terrible like that Witch from NJ? I'd vote 3rd candidate or write in instead.

Why would i have problems with a Ron Paulesque libertarian?  :huh: My only major beef with Ron Paul was his nuttiness about the Fed.

Fair point about a Sara Palin type crackhead.  I would probably emigrate if those were the choices.

garbon

Quote from: alfred russel on September 12, 2013, 09:42:00 PM

I'd rather they go back to the old method. Yes I realize they are probably saving on some labor now that there are baggage fees and more people carry on. But for the most part, you have everyone trying to carry large bags on, and all sorts of problems fitting stuff into overhead bins (which flight attendants have to monitor and assist with), while just below is an empty cargo area. There usually are some people that aren't able to fit their bags in overhead bins because of the overcrowding there and have to check carry on items at the gate, which slows everything down and causes some lost bags.

:yes:

DGuller

This is one of those cases where a little coercion could do a lot of good.  There should be a legally allowed maximum fee per bag, so that airlines can't in effect bait and switch while trying to outbid each other.

Admiral Yi

Totally agree about the checked bag fee.  I think it's ridiculous how every single passenger tries to jam a steamer trunk into the overhead now.

Josquius

I now live in Tokyo.
Alas I must wait for a visa before I can start my full time new job and so am only working one day a week for probally the next fortnight.
I must live like teh poors.
██████
██████
██████