News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Savonarola

Divorce, Michigan Style:

QuoteMichigan woman orders hit on husband, says it's 'easier' than divorce

MUSKEGON — An investigation into a 20-year-old West Michigan woman who later pleaded guilty to soliciting the murder of her 27-year-old husband included videotaped meetings with an undercover police detective.

On the video, Julia Charlene Merfeld of Muskegon is heard telling the detective posing as a hit man that the killing would be "easier than divorcing him." Merfeld said that if he was killed she wouldn't have to worry about her family's judgment or "breaking his heart."

Two videos made in April were released to WZZM 13 by prosecutors.

Merfeld pleaded guilty last month to soliciting a murder. She's jailed ahead of sentencing July 30 and is expected to face prison time.

Authorities say she wanted her husband's $400,000 life insurance policy, and promised to pay $50,000 for the killing

How can our system be so cruel?  She was only trying not to hurt his feelings.   :(
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

DGuller

You'd think that after so many stories about foiled murder for hire plots being publicized, people would realize that undercover cop hitmen are not trustworthy.

Eddie Teach

Even non-cops. What's to stop them from pocketing your money and then just going on their way? It's not like you're going to call the cops to tell them your hitman didn't deliver and you want your money back.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 09, 2013, 02:34:29 PM
Even non-cops. What's to stop them from pocketing your money and then just going on their way? It's not like you're going to call the cops to tell them your hitman didn't deliver and you want your money back.  :hmm:
That's why you do half and half. :contract:

Zanza

Quote from: DGuller on July 09, 2013, 02:37:06 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 09, 2013, 02:34:29 PM
That's why you do half and half. :contract:
Walking away with 25k doesn't sound to bad either.

Savonarola

Quote from: Zanza on July 09, 2013, 02:59:29 PM
25k doesn't sound to bad either.

Yes, but you'd get terrible references that way.  Networking is the key to growing a successful business.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 09, 2013, 04:23:41 PM
Quote from: Josephus on July 09, 2013, 01:13:16 PM
Fuck, I'm tired.

:(

Just one of those days. Hot, humid day. Long  drive in due to traffic. And stress at work. Just want to get home and lie down for a bit.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

I should update my status, as they say on FB.

Back in April I posted that as of June 28 the ethnic  newspaper I work at, of which I was arts and culture editor, was shutting its doors and  was to be out of a job. Well the entire community, outside of Malthus, rallied and a successful attempt was made at restructuring the paper. Several people were let go, but I was not one of them. The entire management, though, was given a package. A search is under way for a new editor in chief, but in the meanwhile, that post has gone to me, as Interim Editor in Chief. It's a fairly thankless task and much of my day is pretty administrative (I'm meeting a member of Prime Minister Harper's team, a Mark Adler, MP, in a couple weeks...should I behave?) and stressful. But at least I'm employed and there will be a bonus at the end. Though when a new editor is selected, my future once again is up in the air.

But for now, what I thought would be a lazy, quiet summer has turned into a fairly busy, stressful summer with no holiday in sight for a while.

garbon

Well congrats and not! :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Yeah sounds like I'm complaining.....but it is good for me, and at the very least, will look good on my updated resume.

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on July 09, 2013, 04:59:26 PM

Back in April I posted that as of June 28 the ethnic  newspaper I work at, of which I was arts and culture editor, was shutting its doors and  was to be out of a job. Well the entire community, outside of Malthus, rallied and a successful attempt was made at restructuring the paper. Several people were let go, but I was not one of them. The entire management, though, was given a package. A search is under way for a new editor in chief, but in the meanwhile, that post has gone to me, as Interim Editor in Chief. It's a fairly thankless task and much of my day is pretty administrative (I'm meeting a member of Prime Minister Harper's team, a Mark Adler, MP, in a couple weeks...should I behave?) and stressful. But at least I'm employed and there will be a bonus at the end. Though when a new editor is selected, my future once again is up in the air.

But for now, what I thought would be a lazy, quiet summer has turned into a fairly busy, stressful summer with no holiday in sight for a while.

Huzzah!

But seriously - newspapers are dying.  Any chance you can take this additional time to transition into another line of work?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

Oh, for sure, I've been giving that a lot of thought. One of my original plans when I thought I'd be out of work this summer, and with my severance, was to look at taking some courses. Haven't quite decided in what ;)

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on July 09, 2013, 04:59:26 PM

Just for that crack, I'm cancelling my subscription.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius