News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

I'm capable of basic pattern recognition, that means I'm special. :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on February 14, 2013, 10:41:26 AM
I saw this being passed around on facebook and instead of being shown as a cool look on how the mind works, it is masquerading as a way of telling impressive people from the non-impressive.

Awesome.  I need to forward this around the office, though I think I know what the results will be :mellow:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Ideologue on February 14, 2013, 10:45:00 AM

That's probably the one thing I'm really good at.  I guess it's because I'm lazy and it ultimately requires much less work than things like memorizing. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on February 14, 2013, 10:50:34 AM

That's probably the one thing I'm really good at.  I guess it's because I'm lazy and it ultimately requires much less work than things like memorizing. 

The one thing you are good at is basic pattern recognition? I guess it would be fair that it doesn't require much work (on your part) for your brain to do something it does all by itself.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Yeah the facebook post this came from was full of people noting how impressive they were. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on February 14, 2013, 10:50:34 AM

And a veteran of 25 years of Wheel of Fortune.

Eddie Teach

Only certain people can read this- ones who know English.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on February 14, 2013, 10:56:50 AM
The one thing you are good at is basic pattern recognition? I guess it would be fair that it doesn't require much work (on your part) for your brain to do something it does all by itself.

I meant pattern recognition in general, you condescending putz.

Syt

Quote from: garbon on February 14, 2013, 10:41:26 AM
I saw this being passed around on facebook and instead of being shown as a cool look on how the mind works, it is masquerading as a way of telling impressive people from the non-impressive.

Has a typo. "Without" is not two words.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

I'm sure more than 74 people can read that. :nerd:

Razgovory

Why does being able to read script kiddy "l33t sp34k" can make someone special?  I mean special in a positive way at least.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on February 14, 2013, 04:10:30 PM
Why does being able to read script kiddy "l33t sp34k" can make someone special?  I mean special in a positive way at least.

Well it is really just showing how one's brain can fill in gaps based on what it expects (or has commonly seen) there.

derspiess

Didn't bother to check how they measured it.

sbr

A fun little Cities of Europe Geography browser quiz

http://www.geography-map-games.com/geography-games-Cities-of-Europe-_pageid44.html

I didn't break 70,000 until my 3rd try.  :Embarrass:  I blame Paradox for my poor knowledge of European geography.

mongers

You sure that's for religion as it seems to be showing bigotry instead.   :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"