News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 24, 2012, 09:22:42 PM
Just read in The Economist that 60% of American filers pay someone to do their taxes.  That's amazing.

Paying someone to send a simple text message? America truly is the land of plenty.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zanza on March 25, 2012, 02:17:31 AM
So if we make tax law more complicated, we create jobs?

Oh hells yeah.  Same article said the man hours spent filing tax returns is equal to 3 million year round jobs.

Zanza

An administrative court in Germany just allowed the police to do racial profiling based on skin color when they do random identity checks on trains.

Tamas

Quote from: Zanza on March 27, 2012, 10:21:30 AM
An administrative court in Germany just allowed the police to do racial profiling based on skin color when they do random identity checks on trains.

That's an interesting topic.

If the statistics say, that a particular ethnicity has a disproportionate part in certain crimes, shouldn't the police be able to utilize that satistic to raise efficiency?
Yes, the reason for this disproportionate representation is iffy, and should be remedied by society, but it is not the police's job to engage in social engineering.

Zanza

The court said the police officers should use their "specific border police experience" and that would guarantee that it is not arbitrary.  :lol:

Tamas

Quote from: Zanza on March 27, 2012, 10:29:25 AM
The court said the police officers should use their "specific border police experience" and that would guarantee that it is not arbitrary.  :lol:

:lol:

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on March 27, 2012, 10:28:03 AM

If the statistics say, that a particular ethnicity has a disproportionate part in certain crimes, shouldn't the police be able to utilize that satistic to raise efficiency?
Yes, the reason for this disproportionate representation is iffy, and should be remedied by society, but it is not the police's job to engage in social engineering.

I thought that was their job.  :huh:  Social engineering is done by law and police enforce the law.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

Quote from: Razgovory on March 27, 2012, 10:56:26 AM
Quote from: Tamas on March 27, 2012, 10:28:03 AM

I thought that was their job.  :huh:  Social engineering is done by law and police enforce the law.

What a weak attempt. But nice try, have a cookie and sit down.

Duque de Bragança

I have not been asked my id for years in German trains but then for me it would a joint Franco-German patrol around Saarbrücken.

Syt

Well, the decision was in reference to random ID checks by border cops on trains that were known to be used by illegal immigrants, so it's questionable whether it would be applicable on, say, the Hamburg<=>Hanover connection.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

I don't think there are police ID checks on trains that don't cross some border anyway. At least I've never seen any and I am a quite regular train passenger on the long-distance trains.

Lettow77

After days following one another with the most minor progress, I got my applications to Japanese summer study programs sent off. It's just as well that they never find out about the shocking yukkuri of my daily affairs- it isn't very Japanese in outlook. This was a top priority matter, meaning the process of getting a passport and filling out an application took just under two months. 

Other things that can be deferred inevitably will be- I always accomplish all of the day's goals, but I never set goals that mighty be stressful or taxing. It is a gentle existence.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on March 27, 2012, 11:36:29 AM

What a weak attempt. But nice try, have a cookie and sit down.

Please point out the weakness.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Lettow77

three goats in a pen
catch the eyes of passing cows
spring in Tennessee
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Tamas

me and a few friends will be going to Poland next month, for a few days, and will be staying in a hotel in a small village. The village's wikipedia entry closes with this sentence:

QuoteThe village has been know to sacrifice tourists to their local deity known as Azball'ah.

:lol: