And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on February 27, 2012, 10:22:42 AM
:huh:

You know, it's stuff like this that makes me miss the dark days of the Cold War, where you could count on TASS to say something like, "This week's box office results for Mr. Mom is proof that the corrupt American corporate system is failing and the Worker will reign triumphant."

garbon

I had read just this past Friday that Israel had started to have more theaters show the Iranian film as there was more and more interest as it emerged as a competitor.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

The Cold War... :wub: Things were so much simpler then.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on February 27, 2012, 10:30:03 AM
I had read just this past Friday that Israel had started to have more theaters show the Iranian film as there was more and more interest as it emerged as a competitor.

How many Israeli films are showing at the local Tehran multiplex right now?

Sheilbh

Iranian cinema's produced some really great films.  I particularly recommend Taste of Cherry and The Apple.  They give the impression that Iranian censors are generally too stupid to actually understand the films they're watching.
Let's bomb Russia!

11B4V

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 27, 2012, 10:47:26 AM
Iranian cinema's produced some really great films.  I particularly recommend Taste of Cherry and The Apple.  They give the impression that Iranian censors are generally too stupid to actually understand the films they're watching.

They got anything on the Retard War?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 27, 2012, 10:47:26 AM

Everybody here is is more than cognizant that there's a substantial segment of Iranian educated, well-heeled society that the mullahs, for a variety of reasons, look the other way.
The big question is, what's that segment of society doing anything about fomenting change within Iran?  The answer is: nothing.  Which is why Iran will never change.

Sheilbh

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 27, 2012, 10:55:07 AM
The big question is, what's that segment of society doing anything about fomenting change within Iran?  The answer is: nothing.  Which is why Iran will never change.
Well they did try something a couple of years ago and thousands were killed by the regime.

But I'm not making a political point about Iran.  There's a lot of good films from that country is all.  Worth watching and some are extraordinary for having made it out of a regime like that at all. 
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 27, 2012, 11:15:41 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 27, 2012, 10:55:07 AM
Well they did try something a couple of years ago and thousands were killed by the regime.

Yeah, "something", alright.  A few dozen students being grumpy.  Yahoo.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

I don't see any AK-47s in that pic.

Lettow77

It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Eddie Teach

I thought the Onion was supposed to be a comedy website that made shit up. :unsure:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

DOT THE MOTHERFUCKING "I".
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 27, 2012, 11:25:03 AM
I don't see any AK-47s in that pic.

That would explain the lack of success.

Anyway, posting will discontinue now or shortly.  See you guys on the other side (of the city, not the world).
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)