News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

EU Immigration Crisis Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 15, 2015, 11:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

I can understand why people flee Syria, Afghanistan, Iraq or Eritrea. But what's so terrible in the Western Balkans that has triggered this mass emigration? :huh:

Caliga

@ Tyr

Maybe not in the official sense?  Like in America, we have Cuban refugees who were like officially booted out of Cuba and have (though maybe this has changed due to recent diplomatic thawing?) special refugee status in the United States.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zanza on August 19, 2015, 01:09:17 PM
I can understand why people flee Syria, Afghanistan, Iraq or Eritrea. But what's so terrible in the Western Balkans that has triggered this mass emigration? :huh:
Crippling shortage of track suits.

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on August 19, 2015, 01:09:17 PM

Corruption, crime, crappy political and economic outlook with no hope of improvement. I've talked to some Serbs here and they say that Serbia still hasn't fully recovered economically from last year's floods.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malicious Intent

Looks like Slowakia will deny non christian refugees (i.e. muslims) asylum.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33986738

Syt

D'afuq?

Quote"We could take 800 Muslims but we don't have any mosques in Slovakia so how can Muslims be integrated if they are not going to like it here?"

Wow.  :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Quote from: Malicious Intent on August 19, 2015, 01:18:10 PM
Looks like Slowakia will deny non christian refugees (i.e. muslims) asylum.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33986738

If they agree to take all the Christians that would be nice. Poor bastards are having a rough time of it back home.

Not that Slovakia is a great place to be or anything.

But who is going to take all the Alawites, Druze, and Yazidis? :(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on August 19, 2015, 01:20:10 PM
D'afuq?

Quote"We could take 800 Muslims but we don't have any mosques in Slovakia so how can Muslims be integrated if they are not going to like it here?"

Wow.  :lol:

Slovakia is a special place full of special people.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malicious Intent

Quote from: Valmy on August 19, 2015, 01:22:04 PM

But who is going to take all the Alawites, Druze, and Yazidis? :(

The Yazidis should feel right at home in Germany. According to Wikipedia, there already are nearly as many of them here as in Iraq (550k to 650k).  :huh:

Edit: The 550k number seems to be bollocks. While Germany is in any case the country with the biggest Yazidi Diaspora, other sources put their number at 100-200k.

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on August 19, 2015, 01:22:55 PM
Slovakia is a special place full of special people.

It's a statement I would expect from an uneducated, unemployed, xenophobic bumpkin in the boondocks, but not from a ministry spokesman in a Central European country. It's really embarrassing.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Zanza

A religious minority persecuted by the genocidal Daesh is pretty much the dictionary definition of an asylum seeker. So let the Yazidis come here and find peace.

Iormlund

Quote from: Syt on August 17, 2015, 10:23:24 AM
Absolutely agreed.

Also, a proper distribution system within the EU, based on population and economic capabilities must be established.

There's no need for a distribution system. The market can easily do it.

Not so long ago Spain received a crapload of people. Then the crisis hit and the tide was reversed. Why? Because there were no jobs to be had.

Just let the refugees go wherever they please. They will go wherever they can make a living. Problem solved.

derspiess

What if they don't necessarily want a job?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Iormlund

That's when you revoke refugee status and send them back to their country of origin.

The Brain

What does wanting a job have to do with being a refugee?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.