News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

EU Immigration Crisis Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 15, 2015, 11:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Liep on August 08, 2015, 09:22:04 AM
So a Syrian immigrant just cancelled his asylum application to Germany saying: "I came here because I was scared in my home country, but here I'm even more scared".

Turns out daily attacks and humiliations from German country dwellers are worse than civil war. Ouch.

There's some good example and some bad, but yeah, quite a few people are scared shitless by change and foreigners and it drives them to lash out.

One town in Sachsen-Anhalt had the mayor step down, because he had received threats, and he felt left alone by authorities. Shortly after that, a house that was earmarked for housing fugitives was set on fire.

A few months have passed, and 20 or so refugees have arrived. The refugees aren't targeted by attacks or remarks - instead it's the volunteers helping them who are blanked by their former friends, and who are told that they shouldn't forget that they're Germans.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

So a Syrian immigrant just cancelled his asylum application to Germany saying: "I came here because I was scared in my home country, but here I'm even more scared".

Merkel worse than Assad AND Daesh?  :hmm:

Josquius

I recently saw a pretty horrible BBC documentary- asylum seeker kids get their application turned down but since they're kids are allowed to stay, given to foster families, grow into pretty normal British teenagers.....then when they reach 18 they're shipped back to Afghanistan. :bleeding:

Also saw something about this Hungarian fence- it is all a cunning ploy to redirect the migrants to Romania.
This 'first point of entry' law really needs throwing out. Ideally we should be pooling assylum seekers not just Europe wide but amongst all free and democratic countries.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Problem with that plan is, being free, democratic countries our voters get to say "no, thanks".
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 08, 2015, 01:28:36 PM
Problem with that plan is, being free, democratic countries our voters get to say "no, thanks".
That makes you a cunt country.

Though the US is usually rather good for such immigrants right?
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

I suppose.

How many Middle Easterners did you meet in Japan, btw?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on August 08, 2015, 01:30:50 PM

Asylum tends to be granted in the US only to people who come from countries we consider bad guys.

On the other hand the green card lottery lets in buttloads of people from just about anywhere.

Josquius

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 08, 2015, 01:34:59 PM
I suppose.

How many Middle Easterners did you meet in Japan, btw?
Quite a few actually. Lots of Iranians moved to Japan due to some weird deal between the countries a decade ago where it was very easy for Iranians to make the move.
When Japan takes assylum seekers they tend to be Burmese. Though they aren't very good at it.
██████
██████
██████

Ancient Demon

Turns out daily attacks and humiliations from German country dwellers are worse than civil war. Ouch.

That's disappointing. There are many legitimate refugees among the Syrians. :(
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Razgovory

You guys have sort of an asylum seeker debt with us.  We had millions of people flee your countries to ours.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Norgy

Quote from: Razgovory on August 08, 2015, 02:50:48 PM

You guys have sort of an asylum seeker debt with us.  We had millions of people flee your countries to ours.

I think our experience with your backpackers more than has made up for that.
"I'M ON MY GAP YEAR".

Syt

An anti-nazi blogger in Germany has issued a statement that he's giving up his work. He says he's become used to be called names and generally threatened with violence. However, it appears one of his "fans" called the police, claiming to be him, and saying he just murdered his wife. When the blogger got the call, the police were already in his house looking for the body. This together with death threats to him and a student (and the student's relatives, private addresses of all "targets" were part of the threat) who opened an online petition against anti-immigrant protests in front of homes for asylum seekers have moved him to capitulate.

His final point: the majority is silent and watches from behind the curtains - just like Mrs Merkel who has remained very silent about anti-immigration protests and violence in recent weeks and months.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

The ability of a small group to destroy people while maintaining the appearance of an anonymous mob is a horrifying fact of our age.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Germans cannot do anything in moderation.
News! Film at 11.

Syt

http://www.thelocal.at/20150814/no-respect-for-human-rights-at-traiskirchen-refugee-camp

Quote'No respect' for human rights at Traiskirchen camp

Amnesty International has complained of inhumane conditions at Austria's reception centre for asylum seekers in Traiskirchen, in a new report released on Friday.

Amnesty Austria General Secretary Heinz Patzelt said inspectors who visited the centre last week were particularly concerned about under age refugees who appeared to have no-one to care for them.

He also criticised the fact that parents were not always housed in the same quarters as their children and that women had to shower in the same facilities as the men, with no curtains or privacy. 

Patzelt said that he was "extremely angry" and appealed to political leaders to accept responsibility for asylum seekers, saying Austria had the resources to be able to care for refugees adequately but lacked the political will.

"Traiskirchen is a symptom of a far-reaching structural failure within Austria to dealing with asylum seekers," the Amnesty report said. It went on to criticise the severe overcrowding at the camp, inadequate medical and social care, and administrative hurdles which it said are easily avoidable.

The Amnesty team visited the camp for several hours and spoke to 30 asylum seekers. Last week 4,500 people were housed there, with hundreds sleeping in tents and some even forced to sleep in the open air outside the grounds of the centre - including pregnant women and women with newborn children. Traiskirchen can only accommodate a maximum of 2,000 people.

Interior Minister Johanna Mikl-Leitner (ÖVP) has called for solidarity among the various European countries dealing with an influx of refugees from war torn countries, and said that it was "clear to everyone" that the situation "is not sustainable".

The number of asylum requests in Austria rose above 28,300 between January and June alone - as many as the whole of 2014 - and officials expect the total to reach 80,000 this year.

Most arrive from neighbouring Hungary, which, like Austria, is a member of the EU and the passport-free Schengen zone.
—Stephen Jay Gould