News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Oscar Best Movie Poll - Who *Should* Win

Started by Martinus, February 22, 2015, 09:00:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which movie should get the 2015 Oscar for Best Movie?

American Sniper
5 (14.3%)
Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
5 (14.3%)
Boyhood
4 (11.4%)
The Grand Budapest Hotel
15 (42.9%)
The Imitation Game
1 (2.9%)
Selma
2 (5.7%)
The Theory of Everything
0 (0%)
Whiplash
3 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Siege

Quote from: Valmy on February 23, 2015, 11:22:52 AM
Quote from: Siege on February 23, 2015, 11:21:25 AM
You got it. I predict Selma will win.
What do you want to bet?
And when is the Oscars thing?

:lol:

Just playing with you Siege.  The Oscars were last night and Birdman won.

:mad:

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

You got the movement conservative racism down, but you are supposed to be subtle with it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

lustindarkness

I voted 'Murican Sniper USA! USA!, but the only other one I've seen is Birdman and I think that one will win.  ;)
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Siege

i havent seen American sniper.

Last sniper movie I saw was Shooter, and it was so full of lies and mistakes, and tactical errors, that I aint going to watch another hollywood sniper.

Admiral Yi

lustindarkness

Quote from: Siege on February 23, 2015, 12:23:01 PM
i havent seen American sniper.

Last sniper movie I saw was Shooter, and it was so full of lies and mistakes, and tactical errors, that I aint going to watch another hollywood sniper.

:mad: Unamerican!
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Siege

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 23, 2015, 12:23:40 PM
I think you'll end up seeing this one.

Eventually.
Then I am going to post here all the crap they got wrong, and if they got any tiny bit right.
I wouldn't hold my breath.

Caliga

I didn't see a single one of these movies. :blush:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Siege on February 23, 2015, 12:26:46 PM
Eventually.
Then I am going to post here all the crap they got wrong, and if they got any tiny bit right.

I haven't seen it, and everything I know about sniping comes from one show on the Military Channel, but my hunch is you will be impressed by the accuracy.  It is after all based on the true story of a SEAL sniper, and I'm sure they had expert input.

Siege

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 23, 2015, 12:28:32 PM
Eventually.

I haven't seen it, and everything I know about sniping comes from one show on the Military Channel, but my hunch is you will be impressed by the accuracy.  It is after all based on the true story of a SEAL sniper, and I'm sure they had expert input.

Bobby Lee Swager in Shooter was based on marine sniper Carlos Hathcock. They had ex-marine snipers as consultants for the movie, yet choose to go with what the director thought was screen friendly. Everything in Shooter was wrong, from camouflage to tactics to everything. In the opening shot, they had the worst sniper hide selection ever. First thing about sniper hides, do not choose the top of an elevation because you will be skylining yourself. Second, select the location for your hide with a covered exfill route. Both of these very basic requirements were available in the general location they shot the movie, a serie of hills overlooking a road, yet they choose not to because, well, shooting from the top of the hill looks cool.

As i said, I aint expecting much from American sniper.

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on February 23, 2015, 12:27:07 PM
I didn't see a single one of these movies. :blush:

You should see the Grand Budapest Hotel.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Siege on February 23, 2015, 12:41:46 PM
They had ex-marine snipers as consultants for the movie, yet choose to go with what the director thought was screen friendly.

Holy Chinese spy rings, Batman.  A director of a film goes with what the director thinks will work for the film.  Bet that's the fuck why he's called a "director".

Admiral Yi

Bobby Lee Swager in Shooter was based on marine sniper Carlos Hathcock. They had ex-marine snipers as consultants for the movie, yet choose to go with what the director thought was screen friendly. Everything in Shooter was wrong, from camouflage to tactics to everything. In the opening shot, they had the worst sniper hide selection ever. First thing about sniper hides, do not choose the top of an elevation because you will be skylining yourself. Second, select the location for your hide with a covered exfill route. Both of these very basic requirements were available in the general location they shot the movie, a serie of hills overlooking a road, yet they choose not to because, well, shooting from the top of the hill looks cool.

Are there not tactical situations in which concealment is not a pressing issue?  I've seen still photos and video of snipers operating in Iraq from rooftops.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Tonitrus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 23, 2015, 12:28:32 PM
Eventually.

When I think of snipers in movies, I only really think of this scene...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4xO0k9LcIU