News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Oscar Best Movie Poll - Who *Should* Win

Started by Martinus, February 22, 2015, 09:00:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which movie should get the 2015 Oscar for Best Movie?

American Sniper
5 (14.3%)
Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
5 (14.3%)
Boyhood
4 (11.4%)
The Grand Budapest Hotel
15 (42.9%)
The Imitation Game
1 (2.9%)
Selma
2 (5.7%)
The Theory of Everything
0 (0%)
Whiplash
3 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Iormlund

Quote from: Siege on February 24, 2015, 02:52:13 PM
Why do spaniards hate Israel so much?

It cannot be love of muslims. You guys do have an immigration problem with moroccans, don't you?
And didn't you fight an 800 years war to free yourself from the muslims?
So it must be anti-semitism.

The press is almost unanimously biased against Israel. Why is that I don't know, but since we have pretty much no Jews it might simply be inertia, consequence of a society shaped by Franco's Middle East policy, which was markedly pro-Arab (IMHO probably for pragmatic reasons, such as avoiding embargoes, trade, Catholic integrism, and early on German influence).

Ideologue

Quote from: celedhring on February 24, 2015, 01:37:00 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 24, 2015, 01:30:40 PM
Maintaining the tone, building a (routinely modified) story out of the footage, and keeping the actors straight is the producers' job?  Then no wonder they get the Best Picture action figures. :P

I thought you meant the technical and practical challenges, which were certainly considerable. What you mention is certainly the purview of the director, but what's so hard about it? There are lots of other films about boys growing up that maintain tone and build a story, they are just shot conventionally.

But Boyhood was not shot conventionally.

Maybe I overestimate the difficulty.  I mean, hell, not like it really did amount to that much in the end.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on February 24, 2015, 04:46:04 PM
Err, I didn't hijack the thread.

Weren't you the first person to mention the "stop bullying" campaign?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Hey, at least Lena Dunham wasn't involved, right?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: celedhring on February 24, 2015, 04:01:39 AM
A director "directs" everything in the film. In theory - although that's highly dependent on your personal power - you decide everything that goes in the film, using the "proposals" of all the other professionals. You correct the actors' performances, you ask the screenwriter to change things in the script and approve them, you sit besides the editor and give him instructions, you talk with the DoP to have this or this kind of photography for a given scene, etc... You don't supplant them or their work, but you certainly direct them. So in a way, it's hard to have the best picture without the best director.

However, I'm a believer that "best director" awards should focus only on the only exclusive competence a director has: deciding shots and mise en scène, and then include the director among the recipients of "best picture" awards (nowadays only the producers are awarded).

I think that you can easily have a better film (due to having a bigger budget for actors and professionals) without having the best director.  Directors turn resources into film stock.  With fewer resources, its hard to match the quality of an expensive film's stock.  Really great directors like Leone or Eastwood make the quality differences more moot.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point