Languish, help me plan a Euro vacation. Rome, Paris and London.

Started by lustindarkness, February 17, 2015, 11:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 18, 2015, 09:08:14 PM
Only got to Milan. And was lectured on who to vote for. euros.  :rolleyes:
While I was there an election campaign was going on.  FORZA ITALIA FTW!
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 18, 2015, 09:08:35 PM

Does it take a day to get from London to Paris?

No, but checking out of a hotel, getting to a train station, a hour to two train ride (not sure how long this is), and checking into a new hotel--it really takes a big dent out of the day.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

lustindarkness

Well, seems The Boss is looking at options of planning more herself, ditch the tour and add more days per city.  :)
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on February 18, 2015, 08:21:49 PM
Also, Beeb... I loved taking a guided tour of Italy.  For two weeks, my job was to sightsee, eat, drink, and relax.  I didn't have to drive, worry about where I was going, or what hotel to stay in.  They took care of everything, even down to getting us 'preferred' tickets at the Vatican so we could skip the long lines and go right in. :showoff:

Are you disagreeing with me? :unsure:

I said I wouldn't mind taking a guided tour some day.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

Quote from: lustindarkness on February 18, 2015, 10:22:22 PM
Well, seems The Boss is looking at options of planning more herself, ditch the tour and add more days per city.  :)

That sounds awesome.  :cheers:

Do you mean a longer vacation, or dropping a city?

I do think the tour guide idea would have worked, but would have been expensive, and I'm not sure as good a trip as it could have been.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

lustindarkness

More days.

OK people, any hotel recommendations for London?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 18, 2015, 08:44:58 PM
I like gelato.

I learned the word zitrone just so I could order it. In Europe they don't load that shit up with sugar. It's great.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on February 18, 2015, 10:24:55 PM
Are you disagreeing with me? :unsure:

I said I wouldn't mind taking a guided tour some day.
Not at all... I'm telling you that you should seriously consider that option.

Caliga

Quote from: lustindarkness on February 18, 2015, 10:56:25 PM
More days.

I stayed at some hotel in The Docklands when I was there.  I can't remember what it was called but at the time my dad worked for Choice Hotels so we got it for free. :cool:  It would have been a Comfort Inn, Comfort Suites, Quality Inn, Sleep Inn, Clarion, or Cambria Hotel & Suites I guess.  It was pretty nice and was a stone's throw from Docklands Light Rail, but a bit of a hike from all the action.

edit:  The Hotel was right near some thing called ExCeL (a convention center, I guess?), now that I think about it.  So I guess this was by the Canary Wharf DLR station.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 18, 2015, 09:08:35 PM
Does it take a day to get from London to Paris?

No. 2h15 plus some check-in time, minimal compared to a flight. Train stations get you right into the city centre e.g Gare du Nord is 20-30 min away from the Louvre by the metro.

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on February 18, 2015, 08:22:52 PM
When I've not done enough in a city I've always left with regrets or thoughts of "well, I guess I need to go back there someday." 

Right? The worst would be if you felt like you wanted to go back to a place someday / encouraged your child to feel like going back to a place someday!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Gups

Quote from: Caliga on February 19, 2015, 06:07:39 AM
Quote from: lustindarkness on February 18, 2015, 10:56:25 PM
More days.

I stayed at some hotel in The Docklands when I was there.  I can't remember what it was called but at the time my dad worked for Choice Hotels so we got it for free. :cool:  It would have been a Comfort Inn, Comfort Suites, Quality Inn, Sleep Inn, Clarion, or Cambria Hotel & Suites I guess.  It was pretty nice and was a stone's throw from Docklands Light Rail, but a bit of a hike from all the action.

edit:  The Hotel was right near some thing called ExCeL (a convention center, I guess?), now that I think about it.  So I guess this was by the Canary Wharf DLR station.

Excel is a big conference centre (watched some Olympics boxing there) but the area is pretty dull - it's basically 1990s onwards office blocks. It's pretty well connected with lots of transport options, including the cable car.

I've obviously never needed to stay in a hotel in London but colleagues often at the Premier Inn at Blackfriars - clean, budget, decent location. If you've got money to spend I'm sure there are lots of nicer options though.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

I've been to Paris 3 times in the last 4 years (twice for work), and every time I've stayed in Saint Denis. Affordable, well connected, and in a suburb with a large muslim community that has controversially been called a "no go zone" by certain media outlets (I never felt scared).

The point being there are some really affordable options in Paris if you are willing to break out of the clean city center. Just make sure you are in walking distance to a metro station.

[if anyone wonders why I cared about budget when traveling for work, we got a deal where we could use some money for entertainment if we booked at hotels below the market value in the location we were traveling]