News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Consumerism ?

Started by mongers, October 07, 2014, 04:29:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

So what's your take on it as an economic and social force, to what extent does it play a part in your family life?

Me, I find it increasingly hard work, I've been needing/meaning to buy an oven, but comparing all the features, finding one to fit my exact needs is way too much effort, so 4 month down the line I've still not bought one.  <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

Despite the stroller jokes - not so much myself. My main weakness is in purchasing books I could just as easily get from the library.  :blush:

The kid has toys and books, not a really excessive amount though. My wife isn't a big spender on herself.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

I fail to see the connection between consumerism and not being able to decide on a new oven.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 07, 2014, 04:32:54 PM
I fail to see the connection between consumerism and not being able to decide on a new oven.

Overwhelmed by choice?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Somewhat.  I mean I'm only human, and live in this society.

I do sometimes lust after the latest gadget or the shiniest new vehicle.  I understand the allure of a bigger home.

I try (and think I mostly succeed) in resisting such urges - I'm old enough to know that the happiness material goods bring does not last very long.

But I still want to upgrade my 6+ year old Mac. <_<
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on October 07, 2014, 04:31:42 PM
Despite the stroller jokes - not so much myself. My main weakness is in purchasing books I could just as easily get from the library.  :blush:

The kid has toys and books, not a really excessive amount though. My wife isn't a big spender on herself.

I could pretty much have guessed that, you probably save quite a bit and we know you have nothing, financial and emotional 'invested' in the car.

The book comment probably applies to 75% of posters here.  :cool:

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on October 07, 2014, 04:34:47 PM

Overwhelmed by choice?

Indeed and more specifically over specified consumer products, features one often doesn't actually need in the product.

The second sucker punch is the short product cycle, no next year's or next season's model leaves the previously happy consumer feeling their purchase in now part obsolete.

Admiral Yi

You guys use consumerism differently than I do.  I was thinking of something along the lines of Beeb's Apfelboner.

Ed Anger

I'm sitting on a stack of TP packages right now.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malthus

Quote from: mongers on October 07, 2014, 04:39:45 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 07, 2014, 04:34:47 PM

Overwhelmed by choice?

Indeed and more specifically over specified consumer products, features one often doesn't actually need in the product.

The second sucker punch is the short product cycle, no next year's or next season's model leaves the previously happy consumer feeling their purchase in now part obsolete.

My wife gets that way sometimes, more than I. If there are 200 kinds of toothpaste on the shelves, she wants to know which is the very best; I just pick whatever I was already using, or failing that, the first one I grab.

Eddie Teach

I'm not sure how brand loyalty implies consumerism.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tamas

I don't think consumerism and abundance of informed choice are even remotely the same thing.

MadImmortalMan

Mom's a bit of a hoarder. Growing up that way gave me an aversion to collecting too much stuff. Having things is a burden. My kindle has like 70 books in it though. :p

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Malthus

Quote from: Tamas on October 07, 2014, 05:07:17 PM
I don't think consumerism and abundance of informed choice are even remotely the same thing.

You can't lust after things similar to those you already have unless they are NEW! AND IMPROVED!

The issue is that many of these IMPROVEMENTS are marginal, designed only to get you to buy more stuff.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on October 07, 2014, 04:58:22 PM
My wife gets that way sometimes, more than I. If there are 200 kinds of toothpaste on the shelves, she wants to know which is the very best; I just pick whatever I was already using, or failing that, the first one I grab.

:lol:

I bought some toothpaste for us once.  It will never happen again.  my random choice was apparently so poor that all authority for purchasing has been stripped.  Which is fine by me because, to answer Monger's first question.  I buy very little and nothing at all if wine is removed from consideration.