News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Consumerism ?

Started by mongers, October 07, 2014, 04:29:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Malthus on October 07, 2014, 05:14:43 PM
You can't lust after things similar to those you already have unless they are NEW! AND IMPROVED!

The issue is that many of these IMPROVEMENTS are marginal, designed only to get you to buy more stuff.

This doesn't describe monger's situation.

I think what he's talking about is choice overload.

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 07, 2014, 05:22:41 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 07, 2014, 04:58:22 PM
My wife gets that way sometimes, more than I. If there are 200 kinds of toothpaste on the shelves, she wants to know which is the very best; I just pick whatever I was already using, or failing that, the first one I grab.

:lol:

I bought some toothpaste for us once.  It will never happen again.  my random choice was apparently so poor that all authority for purchasing has been stripped.  Which is fine by me because, to answer Monger's first question.  I buy very little and nothing at all if wine is removed from consideration.

Yes and consumerism can be a bit of a double edged sword, as at our ages one's probably acquired most, if not all of the things we need.

And for me replacing worn out things is more of a driver than considering buying new types of stuff. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Sometimes I eat things I probably shouldn't. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 07, 2014, 05:28:33 PM
You can't lust after things similar to those you already have unless they are NEW! AND IMPROVED!

The issue is that many of these IMPROVEMENTS are marginal, designed only to get you to buy more stuff.

He mentioned later most of the features he was bothered about were ones he did not need.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 07, 2014, 05:28:33 PM

The OP had two separate questions, one about it's role in economic activity, the next, the part it plays in your own live.

Plus an observation from me, about dealing with one aspect of consumerism, to-wit unnecessarily large range of products with too many combinations of often complex functions. 

Eddie Teach

Many things marketed as foods probably shouldn't be.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: mongers on October 07, 2014, 05:34:22 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 07, 2014, 05:30:45 PM
Sometimes I eat things I probably shouldn't. :(

Were these things designed to be foods?    :P

Meat is meat.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 07, 2014, 05:35:30 PM
Many things marketed as foods probably shouldn't be.

Tell me about it.

The other day I found an Ocean spray cranberry juice/squash, that has 440 grams (all but a whole pound) of sugars per 1 litre bottle.  :x

And the 'cranberry' themselves seem to be just the bitter skins of the fruit, ie a waste product that they've deluged with sugar to cover up the taste. 

mongers

Still not bought an oven, despite a valiant attempt earlier.  <_<

Gups

Have you considered a halogen oven?

We're going through a big house renovation/extension at the moment. The missus talks of nothing but pendant light finishes, underfloor hearing and polished concrete floors. I just hope there's a couple of grand left at the end of it for me to buy a ceramic bbq, a decent table football and to upgrade my Sonos system. So pretty consumerist at the moment....

Martinus

I'm an early adopter 0.1% top Polish earner gay professional with no kids and a lot of disposable income. Make a guess.

Monoriu

Quote from: Martinus on October 09, 2014, 03:24:58 AM
I'm an early adopter 0.1% top Polish earner gay professional with no kids and a lot of disposable income. Make a guess.

You can invest the money and build an empire.

mongers

Quote from: Martinus on October 09, 2014, 03:24:58 AM

Not really then.

Eddie Teach

I guess he paid way too much for those bright red shapes he keeps on his bookcase.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?