And we're back!

Main Menu

Consumerism ?

Started by mongers, October 07, 2014, 04:29:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 03, 2014, 01:13:57 PM
LOL, pawnbroking.  Fuck off.

No, A while back I caught some documentary about pawnbroking and what stuck in my mind was people turning up wth expensive watches to pawn, swearing that it was a useful facility and valuable 'asset' to have if you need a ready couple of grand for a while.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

I know in India it is pretty common for even fairly poor people to wear a lot of expensive gold jewellery because in lieu of access to decent trust-worthy banks they feel most secure with their life savings on their person.
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 03, 2014, 05:20:22 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on November 03, 2014, 03:01:59 AM
I can dig that.  For some reason lately I've been buying sodas and shit at gas stations, despite the insane markup, just because I don't want to go to Wal-Mart and be in a place with tons of people.
Does your gas station have a produce section?

What's a produce section?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Something people who want to live past 60 visit from time to time. :contract:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

I'm not in that demographic.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

mongers

That's not to say I don't appreciate a well designed or well made product; I've just been using some Japanese made Pentel marker pens, had them for a few years, haven't dried out and will write and stay on almost any surface, be it plastic or the topcoat finish of a bike.  :cool:

DontSayBanana

I'm pretty much a consumer whore.  It's a good thing I'm good with commission sales, because I've been a little overboard about being "consumerist" lately. :blush:
Experience bij!

Ed Anger

I'm seriously considering a service like Net Jet.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on November 03, 2014, 01:17:18 PM

No, A while back I caught some documentary about pawnbroking and what stuck in my mind was people turning up wth expensive watches to pawn, swearing that it was a useful facility and valuable 'asset' to have if you need a ready couple of grand for a while.  :bowler:

Pawning something offers the possibility of getting it back once the loan is paid off.  Selling something does not.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 06, 2014, 03:46:47 PM
Quote from: mongers on November 03, 2014, 01:17:18 PM

Pawning something offers the possibility of getting it back once the loan is paid off.  Selling something does not.

I knew that, I've even been in a few in the past.  :)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 06, 2014, 03:28:54 PM
I'm seriously considering a service like Net Jet.

got around to checking prices. ~125K for 25 hours of time. YEOUCH.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Siege

I love consumerism.
It creates abundance for all.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Savonarola

Quote from: Siege on November 12, 2014, 03:01:14 PM
I love consumerism.

Ending is better than mending
The more stitches the less riches

:)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Martinus

Quote from: Siege on November 12, 2014, 03:01:14 PM
I love consumerism.

I never know with Siege whether he is brilliant... or not. I guess the term "idiot savant" was created for the likes of him.

mongers

Quote from: mongers on November 06, 2014, 01:02:01 PM
Damn need a replacement cellphone, the over-choice will fry my brain.  :(

On second thoughts maybe I don't need a cellphone, I'm not exactly keen on people phoning me at the best of times.  :hmm: