Columbia student carrying mattress until school expels her rapist

Started by garbon, September 24, 2014, 08:47:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

Quote from: Valmy on May 22, 2015, 08:00:08 AM
Always save your texts. There was a similar situation at a place I worked where a guy was being accused of rape and he took out his phone full of texts from her trying to get him to have sex with her and he turning her down.

I wonder what the enviornment will be like once our sons hit college age. Hovering selfie drones will be required gear when dealing with women.  :lol:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Legbiter

Eh, his only crime was being naive. There but for the grace of God, etc.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 22, 2015, 08:15:55 AM
What's a chode?

A dick.  According to Mike Judge, it's an abbreviated and anglicized form of "chorizo".
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Queequeg

Quote from: Legbiter on May 22, 2015, 08:28:14 AM
Multiple girls have accused him and he was prosecuted before.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Valmy

Quote from: Legbiter on May 22, 2015, 08:13:45 AM
Er, I'm simply saying Paul Nungesser missed a lot of red flags about Mattress Girl because of his young age. A dude and his friends casually ran through her (she complains to niceguy Paul about how one of them gave her an STD) but poor kind-hearted Paul who hung out with her and gave her a shoulder to cry on gets stalked, wrongfully accused and socially ostracised.

Mattress Girl will probably turn this into a career.

The joke was related to the fact I didn't understand why he was a 'niceguy chode' and what lessons he would have learned besides the fact that this woman is a horrible human being. I have hung out with people and given them shoulders to cry on without them carrying around mattresses. Presuming this version is true that seems bit bizarre to me. What worldly wisdom would prevent people from shitting all over basic social contracts? Especially if gently turning them down is the crime. He saved the evidence, that strikes me as what one would need to do if one was worldly wise.

I have seen the horrifying idea passed around that since it is so hard to prove rape we should just assume everybody accused is guilty since the number of people who falsely accuse is so minuscule. Um while I agree that is a problem this solution seems to very...prone to creating other problems. Also if rape is indeed hard to prove how can we know that the assumption, that the number of false accusations is indeed so small it can be ignored, be proven? If this guys version of events is accurate well that kind of blows that idea out of the water...if the Duke Lacrosse thing did not also do so.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Queequeg on May 22, 2015, 08:42:42 AM
Quote from: Legbiter on May 22, 2015, 08:28:14 AM
Multiple girls have accused him and he was prosecuted before.

But those were not independent accusations.  One was even solicited by the university "investigator."  He was never prosecuted.

But why let mere facts stand in the way of a good story?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on May 22, 2015, 08:45:38 AM
I have seen the horrifying idea passed around that since it is so hard to prove rape we should just assume everybody accused is guilty since the number of people who falsely accuse is so minuscule. Um while I agree that is a problem this solution seems to very...prone to creating other problems. Also if rape is indeed hard to prove how can we know that the assumption, that the number of false accusations is indeed so small it can be ignored, be proven? If this guys version of events is accurate well that kind of blows that idea out of the water...if the Duke Lacrosse thing did not also do so.

it is based on one of the worst misuses of stats i have ever seen.  The basis for this "small percentage" is that the false accusation percentage is equal to the number of accusations proven false in court divided by an estimate of the number of cases of rape (including unreported cases).

if you take the total number of cases resolved by the legal system as the denominator, false rape accusations are about one in four, IIRC.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 22, 2015, 08:15:55 AM
What's a chode?

What, there exists slang so obscure Yi doesn't already know and use it?  :cool:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: grumbler on May 22, 2015, 08:50:16 AM
it is based on one of the worst misuses of stats i have ever seen.  The basis for this "small percentage" is that the false accusation percentage is equal to the number of accusations proven false in court divided by an estimate of the number of cases of rape (including unreported cases).

if you take the total number of cases resolved by the legal system as the denominator, false rape accusations are about one in four, IIRC.

The fall-back position of the "assume guilt" crowd is always "well, why would anyone want to make a false accusation and bring all that attention upon herself?"  Which is kind of one of those questions that answers itself.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Legbiter

Quote from: Valmy on May 22, 2015, 08:45:38 AMI have hung out with people and given them shoulders to cry on without them carrying around mattresses.

There's an app for that nowadays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8teRxOSNHs

Valmy

Quote from: Legbiter on May 22, 2015, 10:24:35 AM
Quote from: Valmy on May 22, 2015, 08:45:38 AMI have hung out with people and given them shoulders to cry on without them carrying around mattresses.

Um I am married. And even when I wasn't I would never hang out with anybody who:

1. I was dating

2. I wanted to date

3. Was a close acquaintance of somebody in the previous two catagories.

I have a very strong opinion on not shitting where I eat.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Seems like the kind of thing the seduction community would be up in arms about. See women are just always playing games!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Legbiter

Quote from: Valmy on May 22, 2015, 10:30:35 AM

Um I am married. And even when I wasn't I would never hang out with anybody who:

1. I was dating

2. I wanted to date

3. Was a close acquaintance of somebody in the previous two catagories.

I have a very strong opinion on not shitting where I eat.

Just funnin with ya Valmy.  :hug: Figured we could do a Paul and move on from Mattress Girl.

derspiess

Valmy, you would never have hung out with anybody you were dating?  How does that work?