Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Zanza on February 27, 2015, 11:04:55 AM
German defense minister is now discussing whether we need more main battle tanks again.

What did you do with all the ones you had in the '80s?  Turn them into planters?

Zanza

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 27, 2015, 11:05:31 AM
What did you do with all the ones you had in the '80s?  Turn them into planters?
Sold them or gifted them to allies.

Ed Anger

The Leopard might need a refresh anyways.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tamas

Quote from: Zanza on February 27, 2015, 11:06:03 AM

:bleeding:

We are always saying "Putin is stupid" or "he cant be so stupid as to go against NATO". Well or maybe he is just well aware that non-USA NATO is a paper tiger without any teeth.

Ed Anger

I wonder if the Greeks ever took the 400 freebie M1's we offered them.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

celedhring

Spanish police have arrested 8 loonies that had just come back from fighting in Ukraine, on the Russian side. They all belong to several far left organizations and now will face several counts of murder, possession of explosives and firearms, and acting against the interests of the nation.

Loved the remarks of one of them: "We fought together, communists and nazis side by side. We all want the same; social justice and the freedom of Russia from Ukrainian aggression".

Berkut

Nationalist Russians are slowly sliding into that mental slot normally reserved for Islamic fundies - people that probably just cannot be reasoned with.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tamas on February 27, 2015, 11:08:57 AM
We are always saying "Putin is stupid" or "he cant be so stupid as to go against NATO". Well or maybe he is just well aware that non-USA NATO is a paper tiger without any teeth.

The strength of NATO has always been its nuclear deterrent.  Why spend the money on conventional forces when the full faith and credit of the United States guarantees your territorial integrity, and is willing to be vaporized over some snot-nosed, ostentatiously cigarette-ash-flicking Europeans?   The problem with that is only faggot ass cowardly Canada can get away with that defense posture, particularly if conventional conflict stays conventional.

Although it is sort of hilarious that the Europeans are coming to the realization that pure unadulterated power politics and Realist IR theory is still alive and well, and all that matters in the end is the ability to dictate events through the threat and application of force and all their sanctimonious elitist preachy peacenik kumbaya Balls of Light hippie bullshit from the last 30 years is biting them in the fucking ass.  Whaaaa, we've seen war firsthand, war is bad, whaaaa.  Let's outlaw it!  No nukes!  Ha.

Part of me would actually almost enjoy watching NATO fall apart, just to watch those pretentious European assholes take all that Russian cock up the ass, in pure 1945 rapey-like style;  unfortunately, that would mean the poor eastern Europeans would have to go through bullshit all over again, and they don't deserve that. 

celedhring

Heh, Greece of all countries is the top Eurozone spender in terms of GNP. Surprised it hasn't been cut, although I guess there's some good cronyism-related explanation for it.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Zanza on February 27, 2015, 11:06:03 AM

Actually, the record in this matter is owned by the Netherlands which received 445 Leopards, dissolved all tank units for budget reasons but then decided to keep 18 (!) due to current geopolitical tensions.

Tonitrus

Quote from: celedhring on February 27, 2015, 11:55:38 AM
Heh, Greece of all countries is the top Eurozone spender in terms of GNP. Surprised it hasn't been cut, although I guess there's some good cronyism-related explanation for it.

Most of that is probably aimed at Turkey, though

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 27, 2015, 11:56:30 AM

Most of that is probably aimed at Turkey, though

Yep, though it was probably cut as well since it used to be at 3% IIRC.

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on February 27, 2015, 11:31:38 AM
Nationalist Russians are slowly sliding into that mental slot normally reserved for Islamic fundies - people that probably just cannot be reasoned with.
I wouldn't quite put it that way.  I don't thing either the word "slowly", or the present tense of sliding, is warranted.  I've seen this building up for a couple of years before invasion of Ukraine made the rest of the world look.

The Larch

The Greek posters over at Paradox kept bitching about some kind of deal for German submarines that had more pork than the Oktoberfest. Apparently German companies are the 2nd biggest supplier of the Greek army.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on February 27, 2015, 01:13:40 PM

The Greek posters over at Paradox kept bitching about some kind of deal for German submarines that had more pork than the Oktoberfest. Apparently German companies are the 2nd biggest supplier of the Greek army.

Same happened with a deal about German submarines in Portugal.