Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OttoVonBismarck

While it's early days I don't really think these sanctions amount to much, these are the sort of sanctions Putin long ago would have priced in. We don't need to burn the world down in one afternoon, but I hope Western leaders build on this to a serious discussion about long term strategic economic disentanglement from Russia. If that isn't part of discussions going on we are fucked.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 24, 2022, 02:30:49 PM
Incidentally Putin had a meeting today with Russia's "business leaders" in the same hall as the security council:

Max Seddon of the Guardian ran through the list and said that of the people in that room there's only one "classic" oligarch left. The vast majority are running state owned companies, or companies with lots of state support and most of them have a KGB background. I think that reinforces what I was thinking about oligarchs not being the route/lever that I think they used to be early in Putin's regime - I think the securocrats siloviki are far more in charge and have a different set of priorities even if they are technically in business now.

Fixed  :smarty:

Jacob

On a different note, I think we should expect increased cyber attacks in the next while as well.

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on February 24, 2022, 02:56:40 PM
On a different note, I think we should expect increased cyber attacks in the next while as well.

What's a good point, I was wondering about those earlier. It's another weapon in Putin's armoury, if the West give Ukraine concrete backing ie more weapons then he might go for cyber attacks on western countries.

Though it's hard to see how a cyber war could be kept within any acceptable boundaries and there's a big risk of those spirally out of control.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

(The guy has been fired by his employer for this.)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

:lol: FFS.

It reminds me of the daily LinkedIn updates recruiters were posting during the pandemic about how it was making everyone re-evaluate their priorities and what they want in life - so get in touch if you want to hear about the legal job market in London!
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

:bleeding:

"We're raining down big savings on you just like Russia is raining down missiles on Ukraine!"

Is that indicative of Hassid feelings about Ukraine I wonder.  DGuller, any thoughts?

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 24, 2022, 03:38:35 PM
:bleeding:

"We're raining down big savings on you just like Russia is raining down missiles on Ukraine!"

Is that indicative of Hassid feelings about Ukraine I wonder.  DGuller, any thoughts?
No idea what the general feeling is around there.

Sheilbh

Looks like the fight for Hostomel Airfield outside Kyiv is possibly quite important - apparently it's key for Russia's ability to assault Kyiv (I assume in a sort of rapid decapitation strategy).

Fight's been ongoing throughout the day lots of confusing reports I won't repeat - but Defence Minister says they're expecting a new wave of Russian assaults including massive airdrops.
Let's bomb Russia!

Savonarola

Chris Cillizza (of CNN) in his latest editorial (Joe Biden doesn't have a strong political hand to play on Russia) referenced a series of CBS polls from February 11.  The one that caught my eye was that a majority (53%) of Americans at the time said that the US should stay out of negotiations between Russia and Ukraine.  While obviously things have have changed since then; I think any action Biden takes, beyond a few sanctions, will be a hard sell.

(I was also relived to see that only 4% said we should support Russia.  Tucker Carlson hasn't managed to convince many people yet.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Sheilbh

Pretty clear these aren't the full sanctions - I understand a couple of European leaders have said the reason for that is that they want to basically keep their powder dry in case Putin escalates further. And I'm not sure I get that logic. I can't really work out what additional escalation by Putin they're worried about given that he's launched a full-scale invasion.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quotein case Putin escalates further.

Like, how?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.