Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on December 10, 2021, 12:51:49 PM
How does it not provide relevent information. You answer if you think your own country should defend the ally or not. Then afterward you get asked if you think the US would.

So for instance in 2017 conclusion was: Europeans generally expect the U.S. to use military force to defend a NATO ally from a Russian attack, but they are less supportive of using their own armed forces under the same circumstances.

Doesn't really seem anything misleading in that.

Okie dokie :)

QuoteAlso the survey has been running for years with that same question set, so are you suggesting people were confused every year?

Yes.

I am suggesting that if indeed the questions were poorly chosen then using the same poorly chosen questions every year - presumably with a random sample of people - then those poorly chosen questions would introduce the same set of uncertainty into the results on an ongoing basis.

garbon

I'm not sure why we would assume Pew never assess its question set.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

I was surprised that the US, UK and Canada scored so high in defending their NATO allies. Also the Dutch.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on December 10, 2021, 01:47:43 PM

I'm not sure what you're hoping to get out of this conversation.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on December 10, 2021, 03:04:19 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 10, 2021, 01:47:43 PM

I'm not sure what you're hoping to get out of this conversation.

About as much as you I would reckon.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Josquius

So many explanations there.

In large part I reckon there's a sense of "what could we do?", thinking it'd be their country against Russia alone whilst the US of course could handle Russia.

Then there's the less forgivable and more selfish let Americans do the dying.

And I guess to an extent there's also a lot who would see it as an American created problem.

I wonder if these are the same people they asked and other methodology qs.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on December 10, 2021, 03:17:08 PM

In large part I reckon there's a sense of "what could we do?", thinking it'd be their country against Russia alone whilst the US of course could handle Russia.

And I guess to an extent there's also a lot who would see it as an American created problem.

There is one very large and obvious explanation:  They don't care if Russia eats up it's neighbors.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Josquius

Quote from: Razgovory on December 10, 2021, 04:16:53 PM
Quote from: Tyr on December 10, 2021, 03:17:08 PM

There is one very large and obvious explanation:  They don't care if Russia eats up it's neighbors.
This would line up with no/no. Not somebody should stop them but not us.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on December 10, 2021, 04:40:04 PM
This would line up with no/no. Not somebody should stop them but not us.
But would doesn't mean should.

It's entirely coherent to say we should do nothing and of course those warmongering Americans will intervene (I think that would be the standard "anti-imperialist" take).
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Ah misread. Very misleading charts there to have shoukd we vs would America.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

"Would the US do it" certainly informs "should we do it," whereas "should the US do it" doesn't inform "should we do it."  "Would we do it" also doesn't inform "should we do it," nor does "should the US do it" inform "would the US do it."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!