Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solmyr

Quote from: Syt on September 24, 2014, 01:06:47 PM
NATO reports that Russian troops are withdrawing from Ukraine.

Is this the fourth or fifth time now?

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on September 24, 2014, 01:09:27 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 24, 2014, 12:54:43 PM
FFS.  Maybe some museums over here can lend some Fw 190s back to Germany.

Or just some old F-104s.  SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED!

I own a 1970s concept album about the German starfighter scandal, it's actually quite amusing(intentionally) and has some good tracks on it, 'catching a falling starfighter' and 'Ejection' spring to mind:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Lockheed_and_the_Starfighters  :bowler:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

Welle Erdball also has a song about the Starfighter, from the perspective of the son of a then defense minister who crashed with the plane.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

You guys didn't think I picked the Starfighter out of the blue did you? :D
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

celedhring

Quote from: Razgovory on September 25, 2014, 02:26:28 AM
You guys didn't think I picked the Starfighter out of the blue did you? :D

You made me check wikipedia...

QuoteGerman Air Force losses totaled 110 pilots.

:blink:

Warspite

At first, I read this

Quote...forced to cannibalise parts from existing planes and only eight of the country's 109 Eurofighters are fully operational

as

Quote...forced to cannibalise parts from existing planes and only eight of the country's 109s are fully operational
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

celedhring

Quote from: Warspite on September 25, 2014, 06:38:16 AM
At first, I read this

Quote...forced to cannibalise parts from existing planes and only eight of the country's 109 Eurofighters are fully operational

as

Quote...forced to cannibalise parts from existing planes and only eight of the country's 109s are fully operational

Heh, me too actually.

mongers

Quote from: Warspite on September 25, 2014, 06:38:16 AM
At first, I read this

as

Actually, I think that would have a greater deterrent effect on Eastern Europeans than eurofighters.  :ph34r:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

Poland has already cut of her gas transit to Ukraine after the Russians started pissing in the general direction of their contract with Poland and started transiting less gas to them.

Hungary, the only country in the region not being punished by Gazprom for selling gas to Ukraine, has decided to stop those sales on her own. As such, the Ukrainians are fucked come this winter.

Martinus

Hey resident Krauts, I have a question - apparently the German defense minister said in a widely commented interview that German army is not ready to fulfil Germany's NATO treaty obligations. Given that this is a hugely embarrassing thing for a country to admit publicly, what's the reason for this? A desperate last ditch attempt to stir German public and politicians from complacency or a wink to Russia, giving it a free reign in Eastern Europe?

Zanza

Looks like the military lied to the civilian leadership about the actual availability of equipment and that came out now. There was just nothing to deny anymore.

Malicious Intent

Quote from: Martinus on September 28, 2014, 04:34:24 AM
Hey resident Krauts, I have a question - apparently the German defense minister said in a widely commented interview that German army is not ready to fulfil Germany's NATO treaty obligations. Given that this is a hugely embarrassing thing for a country to admit publicly, what's the reason for this? A desperate last ditch attempt to stir German public and politicians from complacency or a wink to Russia, giving it a free reign in Eastern Europe?

Von der Leyen merely reacted to what has already become public knowledge in the recent days. By this time, she might hope to get more funds for the Bundeswehr out of this embarrassing situation. But mainly, she tries to appear as problem solver by sacking the head of procurement, Harald Stein, as scapegoat.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on September 28, 2014, 04:34:24 AM
apparently the German defense minister said in a widely commented interview that German army is not ready to fulfil Germany's NATO treaty obligations.

And that's any different since, oh, 1985 how, exactly?

Malicious Intent

:huh: I thought the Bundeswehr was pretty much at it's peak in the mid to late 80s. It saw a massive modernization of it's equipment since the late 70s (like the introduction of the Leo 2) and had a standing strength of 500.000, 1.3 million when mobilized. It was only after the reunification that the Bundeswehr was reformed to death.

Admiral Yi

When did they abolish the draft?  That's when die Krautishe Heere went Belgian IMO.