If you could have any five works of art in your house

Started by Savonarola, July 03, 2014, 12:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

My wife got me a book called "1001 Paintings You Must See Before You Die."  The author said that the book was inspired by a conversation he once had; what five paintings would you most like to have on your walls.  I'm curious how Languish would answer that.  To expand it a little, what five works of art would you most like to have in your house.  For the purposes of this, you can assume that your house can be expanded to accommodate the Sistine Chapel or whatever you'd like.

I would pick  The Winged Nike of Samothrace:

Paolo Uccello's "Battle of San Romano"

Sandro Botticelli's "Primavera"

Rembrandt van Rijn's "Return of the Prodigal Son"

Vincent Van Gogh, "Starry Night over the Rhone"

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

Valmy

Eugène Delacroix's liberty leading the people of course.

Though, IIRC, that painting is about 60 square feet or so.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 03, 2014, 12:58:33 PM
Dogs Playing Poker, natch.  ;)

I figured  you more for a painting of disturbing clowns type, Teach:

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

I want the giant portrait of Queen Elizabeth that hung in the rafters of the old Winnipeg Arena.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Off the top of my head, though I'm sure I'd change up if I thought about it more.

Marcel Duchamp - The Large Glass

Peter Paul Rubens - Samson and Delilah

Henri Matisse - Le bonheur de vivre

Piet Mondrian - Composition II, with red, blue and yellow

Sandro Botticelli - Mars and Venus
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on July 03, 2014, 12:55:31 PM
Eugène Delacroix's liberty leading the people of course.

Though, IIRC, that painting is about 60 square feet or so.

116 according to Wikipedia (9.8 ft. x 11.9 ft.)  You'll need a bigger house.

I see it's now in the Louvre-Lens museum rather than the Louvre.

DGuller

Ideologue

The Empire State Building, the Burj Khalifa, the Taipei 101, the Willis Tower, and the Pyramids of Giza.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

#2 Boticelli's "Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man."

Savonarola

frunk

Quote from: Ideologue on July 03, 2014, 01:28:29 PM
The Empire State Building, the Burj Khalifa, the Taipei 101, the Willis Tower, and the Pyramids of Giza.

You'll have to pay moving fees.