Austrian tourist brochure advises Arabs not to haggle or eat on the floor

Started by Syt, June 23, 2014, 04:31:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.timesofisrael.com/act-more-austrian-arab-tourists-told/

QuoteAct more Austrian, Arab tourists told

A state-distributed leaflet advising Arab tourists to stop haggling over prices, dumping litter and wearing burkas has caused a storm of controversy among residents and public officials in the Austrian ski resort town of Zell am See.

Mayor Peter Padourek defended the practice as an attempt to make the atmosphere of the region more comfortable for both locals and tourists from other parts of the world.

"When you have a situation where visitors from a particular country or region are over present, then it can be a problem," he told the Salzburger Nachrichten, according to an Austrian Times translation. "Austrians have the same problem in Lignano. Here the Arabs have the problem that their strong presence in the region is very clearly visible because of the burka. That causes irritation among locals and among visitors from other countries. The guests are coming from other countries carry away with them a different image of our region."

Local cable car company manager Erich Egger echoed the mayor's concerns.

"The feedback I'm getting from hoteliers is the other guests are saying to them they are not going to come again," he said, according to the Austrian Times.

However, not all local business owners agreed with the decision to distribute the pamphlet. Hotel owner Wilfred Holleis even went as far as to say it was a form of discrimination.

"I see this as a kind of tourism apartheid," he said according to the Austrian Times, adding that he had no problem with Arab tourists. "I think there are much more serious problems here, for example the number of people who don't spend any time here but buy property which is effectively just a holiday house and therefore make little or no contribution to the local economy."

Local tourism spokeswoman Renate Ecker told the Nachrichten there had been over 275,000 overnight stays by Arab tourists in 2013 and that they are a boon to the tourism dependent region during the low season summer months, when they account for over a quarter of all tourists.

"They often stay for several weeks, also at times when it's not so busy and in contrast to guests from other regions they are always delighted when it rains," she said,adding that some hotels depend heavily on Arab guests and cater specifically to them.

The eight-page guide, titled "Where Cultures Meet," produced by tourism officials, the police and the Austrian Arabic chamber of trade, includes a number of tidbits and advisories that address local concerns over road safety, littering, dress and behavior.

The pamphlet also advises that prices in Austria were not meant to be negotiated.

According to the Austrian Times, the most controversial debate over the pamphlet was the mention of the burka, with critics saying it would be seen as an attack on Islam. In the end, an advisory against wearing the traditional body cloak went in with an explanation that Austrian women dress as they wish, but typically choose to wear black as a sign of mourning; and that "people from the region are used to looking into the laughing face of others in order to gain a first impression and in order to build trust. With this in mind, locals would be glad when visitors adopted the Austrian mentality."

One of the most pressing issues that spurred authorities to produce and distribute the pamphlet was a concern over road safety, as complaints of Arab tourists driving too fast, ignoring traffic laws and not putting seatbelts on children had reportedly become commonplace. In one 2013 incident, an Arab child who was not buckled up died in a car accident.

Issues may run deeper than those that can be addressed by a pamphlet, though.

"I don't like it when we sell ourselves in this way," Padourek said, referring to the appearance of signs in Arabic. "We don't need to cozy up to anyone with gestures like this. We should limit ourselves to German and English."

"They seem to think that if they pay, they can get whatever they want," he added.

Following the media outrage, the brochure will be withdrawn and reworked. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

"ok tourist. If you come here, you better blend in you dirtbag!"

Syt

A colleague has several friends who run B&B or hotels in that area. They're not happy with their Arab customers. Sometimes they will only book rooms for the men, not mentioning that there will be wives and children, but expecting accommodation for them at no surcharge. Sometimes a carpet needs to be replaced because of cigarette burns or food stains. Sometimes they will just drop their garbage wherever they're standing.

All anecdotal, though, and I have no idea if it's as bad as she claims it is.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Brazen

Prices are fixed in the UK, of course, but I often haggle in shops, especially over furniture, white goods, electronics, and clothing or shoes if they're the slightest bit shop-worn. It usually works, and even if it doesn't no-one loses anything.

Wow, how patronising is the clothing thing? I can't imagine some establishments only accepting European dress going down well, or "show us your smile". I'm happy to cover up if travelling somewhere more conservative.

Syt

Quote from: Brazen on June 23, 2014, 05:51:58 AM
Prices are fixed in the UK, of course, but I often haggle in shops, especially over furniture, white goods, electronics, and clothing or shoes if they're the slightest bit shop-worn. It usually works, and even if it doesn't no-one loses anything.

Wow, how patronising is the clothing thing? I can't imagine some establishments only accepting European dress going down well, or "show us your smile". I'm happy to cover up if travelling somewhere more conservative.

Oh, agreed on both counts.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Viking

This sort of reminds me of the signs at icelandic swimming pools for tourists

some things are  just non-negotiable.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Legbiter

And they're strictly enforced too. Don't think the shower attendant won't notice you trying to sneak past him into the pools.  :contract:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Tamas

I get the "don't trash the room" part (although I guess it is still racist to assume all arabs will do that. Then again, this is the same country with signs in Hungarian saying "do not steal" in shops twenty odd years ago), but trying to have them adopt to Austrian clothing standards is stupid and very offensive.

Admiral Yi

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tamas on June 23, 2014, 06:20:18 AM
I get the "don't trash the room" part (although I guess it is still racist to assume all arabs will do that. Then again, this is the same country with signs in Hungarian saying "do not steal" in shops twenty odd years ago), but trying to have them adopt to Austrian clothing standards is stupid and very offensive.

Yes and they can stay home in their barbaric country.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Brazen on June 23, 2014, 05:51:58 AM

Can't imagine a bank doing that for security reasons?
Banks have banned the niqab and burqa for quite a while, sames goes for motorcycle outfits and helmets, specially with visor on.

Tamas

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 23, 2014, 07:11:01 AM

Except of course that while I understand this is fuelled by (largely understandable) disdain for pretty alien cultures settling in Aryan Austria, the leaflet is aimed at tourist. People catering for tourists make money out of tourists not staying in the barbaric countries, but rather, coming over and having a good time making a bonfire on the carpet.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tamas on June 23, 2014, 07:21:38 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 23, 2014, 07:11:01 AM

Except of course that while I understand this is fuelled by (largely understandable) disdain for pretty alien cultures settling in Aryan Austria, the leaflet is aimed at tourist. People catering for tourists make money out of tourists not staying in the barbaric countries, but rather, coming over and having a good time making a bonfire on the carpet.

or the tourism authority that printed them is secretly trying to keep Muslims savage out of their country.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Solmyr

They should also mention that they eat croissants in the shape of the symbol of Islam.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Solmyr on June 23, 2014, 07:55:28 AM
They should also mention that they eat croissants in the shape of the symbol of Islam.

They will never mention that croissants are much better in France though.