Surprise Defeat for Obama in Senate Confirmation Vote

Started by derspiess, March 05, 2014, 07:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

citizen k

Quote from: Caliga on March 05, 2014, 08:53:05 PM
Sounds like a do-nothing job to me.  Probably get to hang out with Jesse Jackson Southern Poverty Law Center all day.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on March 05, 2014, 08:43:59 PM
Quote from: Neil on March 05, 2014, 08:39:42 PM
I'm kinda surprised they were able to get as many votes as they did.  Mumia is the worst.
:yes: He's a piece of shit cop killer.  If not for the fact that he also happens to be eloquent, he'd already have been executed and nobody would care about him.
John Adams defended British soldiers who killed unarmed protestors because he believed that every one deserves a fair trail. It was true then and it's true now. Everyone deserves competent defense, even scum like Mumia and the British. To argue otherwise is simply unamerican and bespeaks the speakers fondness for authoritarianism.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 06, 2014, 12:14:53 AM
John Adams defended British soldiers who killed unarmed protestors because he believed that every one deserves a fair trail. It was true then and it's true now. Every one deserves competent defense, even scum like Mumia and the British.

The British?  Really?  Are you not familiar with the trial?

QuoteTo argue otherwise is simply unamerican and bespeaks the speakers fondness for authoritarianism.

Well Cal is fond of bowing down to well endowed women.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on March 06, 2014, 12:19:47 AM
John Adams defended British soldiers who killed unarmed protestors because he believed that every one deserves a fair trail. It was true then and it's true now. Every one deserves competent defense, even scum like Mumia and the British.

The British?  Really?  Are you not familiar with the trial?

A quick look online indicates that I remember the basics correctly. :unsure:

http://www.loc.gov/law/help/rare-books/john_adams.php
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Phillip V

Quote from: Caliga on March 05, 2014, 08:43:59 PM
Quote from: Neil on March 05, 2014, 08:39:42 PM
I'm kinda surprised they were able to get as many votes as they did.  Mumia is the worst.
:yes: He's a piece of shit cop killer.  If not for the fact that he also happens to be eloquent, he'd already have been executed and nobody would care about him.
John Adams defended British soldiers who killed unarmed protestors because he believed that every one deserves a fair trail. It was true then and it's true now. Everyone deserves competent defense, even scum like Mumia and the British. To argue otherwise is simply unamerican and bespeaks the speakers fondness for authoritarianism.
Then it is a good thing then that Adams was never allowed to head the Justice Department's Civil Rights Division.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on March 05, 2014, 08:53:52 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 05, 2014, 07:20:52 PM
Why is this a surprise?

Everyone thought it would be close, but I don't think many expected that many Dems to vote against. Obama usually does better than that in Senate votes.

Who's "everyone" here?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Where did I say Mumia didn't deserve a competent defense? :huh:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

See, this is why I miss Mart.  If he was still around he would have replied by now and told me I was the piece of shit for not applauding Mumia for killing a cop. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

OttoVonBismarck

The Civil Rights Division does some real work I think but like most political heads the head of it is just a poster-boy / window dressing, it always goes to a minority lawyer and it's usually a hollow position in any case.

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 06, 2014, 12:22:59 AM
A quick look online indicates that I remember the basics correctly. :unsure:

http://www.loc.gov/law/help/rare-books/john_adams.php

OK I guess I missed where the British were scum there.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

I think the bigger point is Jimmy is dead wrong: neither Mumia nor the British peretrators of the Boston Massacre deserve a fair trail.  In fact, they shouldn't be out hiking at all.  And I'm pretty sure John Adams believed the same thing.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ideologue

Mowing down secessionists deserves a medal, not a trial.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 06, 2014, 09:58:09 AM
I think the bigger point is Jimmy is dead wrong: neither Mumia nor the British peretrators of the Boston Massacre deserve a fair trail.  In fact, they shouldn't be out hiking at all.  And I'm pretty sure John Adams believed the same thing.

HA!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on March 06, 2014, 01:11:59 AM
Quote from: derspiess on March 05, 2014, 08:53:52 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 05, 2014, 07:20:52 PM
Why is this a surprise?

Everyone thought it would be close, but I don't think many expected that many Dems to vote against. Obama usually does better than that in Senate votes.

Who's "everyone" here?

Never mind, Raz.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall