Surprise Defeat for Obama in Senate Confirmation Vote

Started by derspiess, March 05, 2014, 07:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

I would be interested to hear Seedy's take on this. 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2014/03/05/senate-rejects-obama-appointment-of-debo-adegbile-to-top-civil-rights-post/

QuoteSenate rejects Obama appointment of Debo Adegbile to top civil rights post
BY WESLEY LOWERY AND ED O'KEEFE
March 5 at 12:33 pm

Opponents of President Obama's nominee to head the Justice Department's Civil Rights Division prevailed in blocking his confirmation Wednesday, as he failed to clear a procedural hurdle.

Several Senate Democrats joined with Republicans in voting against Debo Adegbile, whose nomination was adamantly and vocally opposed by conservatives due to his participation in an appeal filed on behalf of Mumia Abu-Jamal -- an internationally-known prisoner convicted of the 1981 murder of Philadelphia police officer Daniel Faulkner.
The vote was expected to be close -- with Vice President Biden on hand to potentially cast a tie-breaking vote -- but the final tally was 47-52 in opposition to the appointment. [...]
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Ed Anger

Mumia Abu-Jamal supporters should be sent to work camps.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

I'm kinda surprised they were able to get as many votes as they did.  Mumia is the worst.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

Quote from: Neil on March 05, 2014, 08:39:42 PM
I'm kinda surprised they were able to get as many votes as they did.  Mumia is the worst.
:yes: He's a piece of shit cop killer.  If not for the fact that he also happens to be eloquent, he'd already have been executed and nobody would care about him.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

My first thought was, defending someone in court shouldn't disqualify someone for high office.

My second thought was, how does working as a defense attorney qualify someone to be the head of Civil Rights at Justice?

My third thought was, what does qualify someone to be the head of Civil Rights at Justice?

Caliga

Sounds like a do-nothing job to me.  Probably get to hang out with Jesse Jackson all day.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on March 05, 2014, 07:20:52 PM
Why is this a surprise?

Everyone thought it would be close, but I don't think many expected that many Dems to vote against. Obama usually does better than that in Senate votes.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on March 05, 2014, 08:43:59 PM
Quote from: Neil on March 05, 2014, 08:39:42 PM
:yes: He's a piece of shit cop killer.  If not for the fact that he also happens to be eloquent, he'd already have been executed and nobody would care about him.

I FROTH WITH RAGE every time Antioch college makes him thier graduation "speaker". Via cassette.

Fucking commie cancer in mah county.

Caliga

Ed Anger