Senator threatens NFL's tax-exempt status over the Redskins name

Started by jimmy olsen, February 10, 2014, 10:09:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Agelastus

Quote from: DontSayBanana on February 11, 2014, 02:22:19 PM
...the New York Giants have been renamed the Guineas...

I just had to look this one up, since I've never come across this word as a racial slur at all.

So if I went to the USA and provided the prize money for a horse race that I insisted be called the 1500 Guineas (or similar) in honour of the "1000 Guineas" and the "2000 Guineas" races run in the UK would I immediately be attacked for being a racist? Even though the Guinea in question is a coin?

What'd be wrong with a New York team taking a form of lucre as part of their name. :ph34r:

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

garbon

It is always so cute when people make jokes around things that are considered offensive where they live but are in other places.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on February 12, 2014, 07:54:04 AM
It is always so cute when people make jokes around things that are considered offensive where they live but are in other places.

Eh everything is probably offensive to somebody somewhere.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on February 12, 2014, 09:13:38 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 12, 2014, 07:54:04 AM

Eh everything is probably offensive to somebody somewhere.

Yeah which is why it isn't really so cute. More like wow, can you believe our resident Mensa brain hasn't heard of something? :o
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: Agelastus on February 12, 2014, 04:11:51 AM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on February 11, 2014, 02:22:19 PM
...the New York Giants have been renamed the Guineas...

I just had to look this one up, since I've never come across this word as a racial slur at all.

So if I went to the USA and provided the prize money for a horse race that I insisted be called the 1500 Guineas (or similar) in honour of the "1000 Guineas" and the "2000 Guineas" races run in the UK would I immediately be attacked for being a racist? Even though the Guinea in question is a coin?

What'd be wrong with a New York team taking a form of lucre as part of their name. :ph34r:

Seems like Italian-Americans are the only group keeping the "Guinea" name alive these days.

Admiral Yi

I prefer the combo "Guinea-Wop." 

BTW, does anyone know if there's a connection between doo-wop and WOP?

celedhring

My favorite "somebody finds something offensive you aren't aware of" moment was when I was invited to a BBQ by some black friends at NYC, after I had been there for roughly a year, and I brought a load of watermelons with me. Man, the stares.

I just really, really like watermelons.  :(

Ed Anger

Quote from: celedhring on February 12, 2014, 09:40:19 AM
My favorite "somebody finds something offensive you aren't aware of" moment was when I was invited to a BBQ by some black friends at NYC, after I had been there for roughly a year, and I brought a load of watermelons with me. Man, the stares.

:lol:

You get the Ed Anger seal of approval.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on February 12, 2014, 09:40:19 AM

Watermelon is awesome.  Why liking something delicious is a sign of racial inferiority I never got.  It should be a sign of superiority.