News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What is YOUR favorite Quentin Tarantino film?

Started by Ideologue, February 02, 2014, 03:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you illiterate?  Then repeating the question won't help you in a written medium

Reservoir Dogs
5 (8.9%)
Pulp Fiction
29 (51.8%)
Kill Bill Vol. 1
4 (7.1%)
Kill Bill Vol. 2
0 (0%)
Kill Bill (considered as a single cinematic unit)
1 (1.8%)
Death Proof
1 (1.8%)
Inglourious Basterds
5 (8.9%)
Django Unchained
3 (5.4%)
Four Rooms (the entire film may be considered)
0 (0%)
Other (i.e., I failed to understand the question, but I want to vote for True Romance, Natural Born Killers, From Dusk Till Dawn anyway)
0 (0%)
I don't even remember what part of Sin City QT did, but vote for it here if you're just compelled
0 (0%)
Kill Jaron, Vol. 3
4 (7.1%)
Jackie Brown
4 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Ideologue

So, choose.  It's a free country.

To prove it, I chose Death Proof.

I realize that I often have contrary opinions, but I don't think of myself as some kind of Armond White-type asshole, throwing crullers at Steve McQueen's forehead during a New York Film Critics presentation.  I just really love Death Proof's style, love Kurt Russell (and Rose McGowan, and Rosario Dawson, and Tracie Thom, and Zoe Bell), and I think anyone has to consider it one of the most impressive pieces of stunt work and stunt driving ever filmed.  The only real contender for those titles that I've ever seen is the original Gone In 60 Seconds, and no one is riding on the hood of that Mustang; and of course that famous chase is not embedded in a horror/action diptych with fun acting turns, either.  (In fact, it's barely a movie, but I digress.)

TL; DR.  Yes, really.  So what if Pulp Fiction is "about" something?  Death Proof is about Zoe Bell riding on top of a fucking car.

Ranked:

1)Death Proof (A+)
2)Kill Bill, vol. 1/Kill Bill, vol. 2 (A+)
3)Django Unchained (A+)
4)Pulp Fiction (A+)
5)Reservoir Dogs (A)
6)Four Rooms (A) (to get into the nitty-gritty: C+, B+, A+, A+ for each individual short film, respectively)
7)Jackie Brown (B+)
8)Inglorious Basterds (B+)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Fuck, I forgot to include Jackie Brown.  Can I edit that in, or not, or what?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

alfred russel

I have seen 3 of the movies. Pulp Fiction, Inglorious Basterds, and Django.

All were good, but Pulp Fiction was iconic. People are quoting that movie and talking about the scenes more today than the other two much more recent films. Also, the soundtrack was outstanding.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

katmai

Quote from: Ideologue on February 02, 2014, 04:00:24 AM
Fuck, I forgot to include Jackie Brown.  Can I edit that in, or not, or what?

Edited in for you by your overlairds.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Eddie Teach

Pulp Fiction A+
Kill Bill A
Reservoir Dogs A-
Jackie Brown B+
Inglourious Basterds B+
Death Proof C+
Django Unchained C

(but graded on a scale where Fs aren't reserved for random movies that piss me off)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

I like Pulp Fiction best, but I think technically Django Unchained is his best movie. But I like all his movies. I think Death Proof is underrated, but not an A+.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

katmai

Picked Pulp, but haven't seen Django or Death Proof yet.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

If I were to rank the movies he directed (by personal preference, not artistic merit):

- Pulp Fiction
- Django Unchained
- Reservoir Dogs
- Inglorious Basterds
- Kill Bill
- Death Proof
- Jackie Brown

That said, I really enjoy watching any of those movies, but for different things. He and Stanley Kubrick might be the only two directors where I can watch any film of theirs and have a good time.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Admiral Yi

Pulp Fiction:  A+
Reservoir Dogs: C+ I really don't get this movies appeal.  They call each other funny names and the ratty looking English actor moans for an hour.
Inglories Bistdurds: B
Kill Bill uno y dos: B-
Jackie Brown: B
Death Proof: C+

celedhring

Pulp Fiction is one of the most influential movies of its time, and I also is pretty damn good on its own. Easily gets my vote. Death Proof had some fun stuff in it, it's a weird crossover of American grindhouse films with 60s French cinema but ultimately just doesn't feel fullfilling as a film, imho.

My personal rank would be:

- Pulp Fiction
- Reservoir Dogs
- Jackie Brown
- Kill Bill
- Django
- Unglorious Basterds
- Death Proof
- Four Rooms (his episode is easily the best of that mess though)

Syt

When I watched Pulp Fiction for the first time in 1998 or so, I rewound the tape immediately after the end credits and watched it again. Only movie that ever made me do that.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

I started film school in 1996, just a couple years after it came out, and 90% of the students were doing Pulp Fiction ripoffs as their student films. Jump 10 years later, to my first day of postgrad at Columbia; what's the lecture about? Pulp Fiction. It really was that important.

Josquius

Pulp Fiction
My ranking:

1)Pulp Fiction (A*)
2)Kill Bill (A+)
3)Reservoir Dogs (A+)
4)Django Unchained (A)
5)Inglorious Basterds (A)
6)Jackie Brown (D)
7)Death Proof (D)
X) Four rooms (Never even heard of it)

Jackie Brown and Death Proof I just didn't like at all. I can hardly remember anything about them. They were dull and forgettable. Not even so-so. His other films are awesome.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi