News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What is YOUR favorite Quentin Tarantino film?

Started by Ideologue, February 02, 2014, 03:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you illiterate?  Then repeating the question won't help you in a written medium

Reservoir Dogs
5 (8.9%)
Pulp Fiction
29 (51.8%)
Kill Bill Vol. 1
4 (7.1%)
Kill Bill Vol. 2
0 (0%)
Kill Bill (considered as a single cinematic unit)
1 (1.8%)
Death Proof
1 (1.8%)
Inglourious Basterds
5 (8.9%)
Django Unchained
3 (5.4%)
Four Rooms (the entire film may be considered)
0 (0%)
Other (i.e., I failed to understand the question, but I want to vote for True Romance, Natural Born Killers, From Dusk Till Dawn anyway)
0 (0%)
I don't even remember what part of Sin City QT did, but vote for it here if you're just compelled
0 (0%)
Kill Jaron, Vol. 3
4 (7.1%)
Jackie Brown
4 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ideologue on February 02, 2014, 10:46:54 PMI really, really wish I were as young as you think I am, man.
Same :weep:

QuoteBut seriously, people who treat it like the Watchmen of film are taking it a little far.
I had the same view of Watchmen, when I read Watchmen.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on February 02, 2014, 10:46:54 PM
*DIRECTED SOLELY AT CDM.  I'm mainly joking.  Though, seriously, people who treat it like the Watchmen of film are taking it a little far.

The fact that you actually referred to Watchmen tells us all we need to know about your thought processes when it comes to film.

Oh, and your reviews don't help, either.

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 02, 2014, 10:49:25 PM
*DIRECTED SOLELY AT CDM.  I'm mainly joking.  Though, seriously, people who treat it like the Watchmen of film are taking it a little far.

The fact that you actually referred to Watchmen tells us all we need to know about your thought processes when it comes to film.

Damn, you're really ignorant sometimes. :lol:

Quote from: SheilbhI had the same view of Watchmen, when I read Watchmen.

OH SNAP.

If you were a comics formalist--and there's no reason to be--you'd probably feel differently.  If you didn't care about film techniques, you could also be forgiven for thinking Citizen Kane is just a nice movie about William Randolph Hearst.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Capetan Mihali

For the purposes of this poll, I have to say Jackie Brown.

I agree, of course, with everyone in terms of Pulp Fiction being the world-historical film of the bunch, and with Money's comment about Reservoir Dogs being a great example of how to construct an interesting, entertaining film on a low indie budget.

But I like JB best, of the ones I've seen, for some of the reasons that others here don't.  I enjoy watching a Tarantino version of a more traditionally structured film.  The characters are wonderful (as well as easy to engage with), and I think some of the performances are amazing.  De Niro is hilarious, especially in his interactions with S.L. Jackson's girlfriend.  Samuel L. Jackson is great of course.  Even Chris Tucker has a great performance.  Pam Grier is plainly a very talented actress, and her love arc with the bondsman is, as celdh said, about as humane/sincere as QT gets.  Maybe that goes against his style, but I think he pulls it off very well in this film.

Ultimately, I like seeing Tarantino's intense stylistic drives forced to reckon with a story that's already present and not built entirely to serve QT's total cinematic vision.  Again, as celdh said, the fact that it's an Elmore Leonard story goes a long way.

Looking at the recent crop of Tarantino movies, they're good, but I almost feel he'd be one of those directors better served by a more restrictive movie-making system a la Old Hollywood, where his originality would shine even brighter within more conventional frames, rather than being allowed to run completely wild.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ideologue

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on February 03, 2014, 01:25:40 AM
Even Chris Tucker has a great performance.

Where's Luc Besson's parade? :(

QuoteLooking at the recent crop of Tarantino movies, they're good, but I almost feel he'd be one of those directors better served by a more restrictive movie-making system a la Old Hollywood, where his originality would shine even brighter within more conventional frames, rather than being allowed to run completely wild.

Emphatically disagree, but I'd have to.  Death Proof could not exist; nor, probably Django.  (Although Basterds probably could.)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Gups

Pulp Fiction for me. Watched it in the cinema when it came out and it absolutely blew me away. So fresh and different to anything I'd seen before.

I've not seen Death Proof but like all of his others including Jackie Brown (which I think has the best soundtrack of any of his films and that's high praise indeed).

Django was marred for me by the over-the-top cartoonishness of the shoot out and Tarantino's appalling cameo. The first hour was as good a anything else he's done though.

grumbler

Ultimately, I like seeing Tarantino's intense stylistic drives forced to reckon with a story that's already present and not built entirely to serve QT's total cinematic vision.  Again, as celdh said, the fact that it's an Elmore Leonard story goes a long way.

Looking at the recent crop of Tarantino movies, they're good, but I almost feel he'd be one of those directors better served by a more restrictive movie-making system a la Old Hollywood, where his originality would shine even brighter within more conventional frames, rather than being allowed to run completely wild.

I'd say that this was an interesting and accurate assessment of both JB and Tarantino's latest movies, except that I don't want to re-trigger that whole ad hom/pointlessly rude fuck discussion.  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on February 02, 2014, 11:44:30 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 02, 2014, 10:49:25 PM

Damn, you're really ignorant sometimes. :lol:

Watchmen: neat movie.  Not a Pulp Fiction.

Jacob

For the purposes of this poll, I have to say Jackie Brown.

I agree, of course, with everyone in terms of Pulp Fiction being the world-historical film of the bunch, and with Money's comment about Reservoir Dogs being a great example of how to construct an interesting, entertaining film on a low indie budget.

But I like JB best, of the ones I've seen, for some of the reasons that others here don't.  I enjoy watching a Tarantino version of a more traditionally structured film.  The characters are wonderful (as well as easy to engage with), and I think some of the performances are amazing.  De Niro is hilarious, especially in his interactions with S.L. Jackson's girlfriend.  Samuel L. Jackson is great of course.  Even Chris Tucker has a great performance.  Pam Grier is plainly a very talented actress, and her love arc with the bondsman is, as celdh said, about as humane/sincere as QT gets.  Maybe that goes against his style, but I think he pulls it off very well in this film.

Yeah, I voted Jackie Brown too. Well articulated :cheers:

Scipio

Perhaps because I so love Jackie Brown, I can't seem to remember that it's a Tarantino movie. I always think of it as a Soderbergh piece.

I voted Pulp Fiction, because it seems to me to be the quintessence of Tarantino.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt