News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2014 Election Megathread

Started by jimmy olsen, January 26, 2014, 08:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 04, 2014, 11:55:28 AM
This year will be dangerous for Democrats in swing states who rode Obama's coat tails in 2008. 2016 will be dangerous for Republicans in swing states who won due to Obamacare backlash. But they can be saved by a strong Presidential candidate.

One strange quirk is that the GOP stands to lose some of the governorships they won in the glorious midterm of 2010.  Republicans simply overachieved in governor races that year and won't win as many elections this year. 

Plus apparently not all Democrat gubernatorial candidates are as horrific as the one they put up in Ohio.  Seriously, that dude (can't even remember his name) is such a bad candidate even I'm embarrassed for him.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 04, 2014, 08:38:09 AM
I guess the fact this congress & the next one are not going to achieve anything is now totally 100%.

Trade deals will probably get done if GOP takes over.  Of course, the furriners have to hold up their end too.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on November 04, 2014, 11:39:50 AM
This I will agree with. But, what is the cause for the Dems to take a big hit like this? Are they just as disconnected?

Every two-term President since Eisenhower has had both houses of Congress in the opposition's hands during the last two years of office.  It's just what we do.  It's come down to be a normal aspect of business.  That, plus the demographics of off-year voters, the wasted Democratic votes, burnout, etc.

Personally, I'm wondering if amending the Constitution for one 6-year term as opposed to the 4+4 option wouldn't work out better for our Presidential politics, and get more shit done.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 04, 2014, 01:01:34 PM
What shit needs done?

Presidents doing their jobs instead of spending all that time trying to get reelected for one.

garbon

But they can be saved by a strong Presidential candidate.

So they have no hope? :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 04, 2014, 01:03:59 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 04, 2014, 01:01:34 PM
What shit needs done?

Presidents doing their jobs instead of spending all that time trying to get reelected for one.

Or doing fundraising AMIRIGHT???

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on November 04, 2014, 01:04:00 PM
But they can be saved by a strong Presidential candidate.

So they have no hope? :(

Alternately, they can be saved by a particularly weak Democratic candidate. ;)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 04, 2014, 01:05:02 PM

They're the leader of the party.  There's some room on the schedule for that.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 04, 2014, 01:07:29 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 04, 2014, 01:05:02 PM

They're the leader of the party.  There's some room on the schedule for that.

NYC says go home, Obama. Also apparently the town I lived in, in MA, still grumbles about how he messed up the runways at their aiport. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Guys when do the results/exit polls start coming in?

Being a Brit we're wedded to election results on Thursday evening, so for some reason I assumed you'd be voting on the 6th.  :huh:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

Should start seeing some around 7:00 or 8:00pm Eastern.  They used to have them way earlier than that but they wait for the polls to close these days.

derspiess

Holder sent DOJ poll monitors to my county :rolleyes:

mongers

Quote from: derspiess on November 04, 2014, 01:17:04 PM
Should start seeing some around 7:00 or 8:00pm Eastern.  They used to have them way earlier than that but they wait for the polls to close these days.

Thanks for that, so around 2-3 am GMT, doable for me, if I prop the eyelids up.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi