News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2014 Election Megathread

Started by jimmy olsen, January 26, 2014, 08:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Ed Anger

Better to prop the Nips up as a counterweight to the Chinks.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on November 06, 2014, 10:43:46 AM
I'm shocked that you support an agreement that is basically welfare for Shareholder Value, Inc..

Interesting link Moldy.  Didn't know you were such a fan of Noam Chomsky and labor unions when it came to trade treaties.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 06, 2014, 10:56:53 AM
I think Joni Ernst is the one who oughtta be at the top of your watch list, Seedy.  She's a woman who doesn't support the things you think she ought to.

You mean Michele Bachmann of the Midwest?  She still thinks WMDs were actually in Iraq.  Then again, so does Hansy, so there ya go.

Admiral Yi

Michelle Bachman is the Michelle Bachman of the Midwest.  :huh:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 06, 2014, 11:18:53 AM
Michelle Bachman is the Michelle Bachman of the Midwest.  :huh:

Fine.  Jodi's from the Mid Midwest, then.  Enjoy your new batshit Senator.

CountDeMoney

At 18, already too old to be married off in West Virginny, but luckily there's the State House to fall back on.  Good for her!

QuoteThe Republican wave lifted many boats last night, including that of 18-year-old Saira Blair. The college freshman was elected to the West Virginia House of Delegates in a landslide—she earned 63 percent of the vote to her 44-year-old Democratic opponent's 30 percent—and officially became the youngest lawmaker in the country. She'll represent a district of about 18,000 people in the eastern part of the state, near the Maryland border.

The Wall Street Journal describes Blair as "fiscally conservative," and she "campaigned on a pledge to work to reduce certain taxes on businesses." Her website boasts an "A" rating from the NRA and endorsements from West Virginians for Life. As a 17-year-old, Blair primaried the 66-year-old Republican incumbent Larry Kump and advanced to the general election—all while legally being unable to cast a vote for herself. Democratic attorney Layne Diehl, her general election opponent, had only good things to say last night about the teenager who beat her: "Quite frankly, a 17- or 18-year-old young woman that has put herself out there and won a political campaign has certainly brought some positive press to the state."

Blair, an economics and Spanish major at West Virginia University, will defer her spring classes to attend the legislative session at the state capitol. There, she'll join her father and campaign manager, Craig, who is a state senator.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 06, 2014, 11:27:23 AM

Am I safe in assuming she's batshit because she opposes abortion?

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 06, 2014, 11:14:07 AM
Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on November 06, 2014, 10:43:46 AM
I'm shocked that you support an agreement that is basically welfare for Shareholder Value, Inc..

Interesting link Moldy.  Didn't know you were such a fan of Noam Chomsky and labor unions when it came to trade treaties.

I'm opposed to large corporations manipulating the law to give themselves an advantage.  This treaty has that in spades, particularly the IP provisions.  It just so happens that I find common ground with Chomsky and the unions on this one.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on November 06, 2014, 11:37:38 AM
I'm opposed to large corporations manipulating the law to give themselves an advantage.  This treaty has that in spades, particularly the IP provisions.  It just so happens that I find common ground with Chomsky and the unions on this one.

Please elaborate.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 06, 2014, 11:34:28 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 06, 2014, 11:27:23 AM

Am I safe in assuming she's batshit because she opposes abortion?

Meh, she's batshit for so many other delightful reasons than just wanting to confer full legal citizen status to a zygote at the moment of conception.  Like still believing that WMDs were in Iraq because her husband said so.  Or that states can nullify federal laws.  Or that the United Nations could eliminate Iowa private property rights.  Or that her Smith & Wesson is for personal defense against the government.  Or impeachment, or abolishing the EPA and Department of Education, et cetera, and so on.

Like I said, enjoy your new batshit Senator.

CountDeMoney

I'm opposed to large corporations manipulating the law to give themselves an advantage. 

Then you're in the wrong country in the wrong century, man.   :lol:

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 06, 2014, 11:50:20 AM
I'm opposed to large corporations manipulating the law to give themselves an advantage. 

I know it's quixotic at this point, but I'm still an idealist in some ways. :P

Tamas

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 06, 2014, 11:50:20 AM

Yes, Just don't forget that larger government influence in the economy helps doing that shit. So it's not like the Democrats want to fight it, either.